Best Dac under $600... New or used

Whats the best Dac under $600, new or used, with volume control? I'm thinking about either a used benchmark dac 1, paired with an inexpensive amp for now, OR, a peachtree nova 125 or ...??

Whattya guys think?
128x128b_limo

Showing 2 responses by mesch

Not that the benchmark is less than a good product for the money, I have seen many (as Truman above) on this forum characterized it as bright or analytical. It remains a popular DAC however. As one that has a system based on a digital front end feeding a tube pre/SS amp combination, if I was using a DAC to feed directly into a SS amp, particularly an inexpensive one, I would look into one having a tube output stage. I prefer a warm sound over a overly analytical one and I have found tubes to provide this, especially with digital audio. As I have not auditioned any such DACs, I can’t make a specific recommendation. However, I have seen others mention liking the EE DAC on this forum.

Good luck in your search!
The USB module for the Bifrost can be added. However, if I were not in need of USB I wouldn’t be concerned. I like the idea of using a USB/SPDIF converter. There are are many on the market and improving. I have the SCHiit SYS. It seems to work well driving a B&K amp for a 2nd system. For $56 delivered not a great risk.