Best Dac under $600... New or used

Whats the best Dac under $600, new or used, with volume control? I'm thinking about either a used benchmark dac 1, paired with an inexpensive amp for now, OR, a peachtree nova 125 or ...??

Whattya guys think?
128x128b_limo

Showing 3 responses by b_limo

Thanks for the input fellas. I should have added that I only need an digital co-ax input, no usb.

I also prefer a warm sound with substance as opposed to thin and cold. I do like the micro details and sparkle though.

I've been looking at Schitt also. The bifrost looks nice but I heard the gungir is a great dac... No volume control on either of them though, if I remember correctly.

I'll check out that eastern electric mini max also.

Thanks again for the input. I'll check out any other recommendations also!
I found a benchmark dac 1 local for $425 but I think its going to be too bright for my tastes...

I purchased some older Monitor Audio 2.5 Golds yesterday and I think they might already be on the bright side. They're beautiful and in mint condition so I figured if I didn't like them I can flip them.

I'm looking into that constatine! Thx for that suggestion. It looks promising.

I'll also look into the bifrost some more. It looks like a quality piece.

My last dac was a z dac and I thought it was really nice. I liked it quite a bit. I'd like to try something different but I may end up buying another one anyways, just because I did like it. You can pick up the first version for $299 now...

Anyways, thanks for the replies! If anyone can think of some more let me know! I research any and all recommendations!
Okay, the Bifrost is lookin good!

A few questions. If I don't add the usb connection right now, that is something that can be added later, correct?
I would definitely want to do the uber upgrade right away but since I am not using usb, and have no plans to, that would be a waste for me at the moment.

Second question: should I go ahead and get the Schiit Sys preamp also? It's pretty inexpensive at $50 and it would match the Bifrost aesthetically. Could I beat it for $50-$100 with some other preamp? I'll probably get another Lightspeed Attenuator later when I have the funds simply because I had one before and really liked it.

I would consider the MHDT also but I can't find one for sale and I also think that Schiit might have customer service that's easier to access.

That ifi looks really cool also, but I don't understand what "True Native PCM768, Octa-Speed DSD512 and 2x DXD" is. Would any of that apply to me since my only source is a wadia 170i streaming spotify premium?

Also, could I use the ifi as a stand alone dac later if I wanted to upgrade and go with a different preamp. Is the ifi compatible with a Lightspeed attenuator?

Thanks again everyone for steering my straight on all of this!