Best DAC for my situation...Read on!

So thoughts and opinions please.
What I have and my idea.
Oppo 105D and Bluesound Vault 2 feeding into McIntosh C48 preamp.
I chose the C48 because it is a nice complete all in one box solution, headphone amp, mm and mc phono amp, lots of analog inputs with 2 sets of xlr inputs AND 5 total digital inputs.
Now I have both the Oppo and the vault connected by analog and digital inputs to the C48 so I can compare modes pretty instantly and I have to admit both cases the analog sounds better.
Which makes me wonder if the C48, although a great all in one solution may be the hold up as far as the DAC performance is concerned.

What I was considering as a trial is a seperate DAC that can handle the digital signals from the units and then output the analog signal via xlr preferably, back to the C48.
At this stage I have no intention of getting rid of the C48 as I really like the analog signal SQ as well as the headphone performance.

Any good suggestions in the range of $2000 used or am I really not going to see much improvement at that price range over the C48 capability?
128x128uberwaltz

More than 80% of digital component(perhaps all components in a refined system) performance is isolation and noise elimination.

Certainly important, but I would argue that power delivery is more important.  That includes power supply, regulators and decoupling caps.

Steve N.

Empirical Audio

@mesch 
If you have any more questions or thoughts on the vault 2 feel free to email me directly.
After nearly a year of ownership and use I think I have a pretty good handle on what makes it tick by now.
Good luck
Thanks again uberwaltz! I may contact you after further exploration and have formulated specific questions. 
Bringing this back to the top as looking for more information as plans and equipment have changed a fair bit, whats new!

I am looking for either a DAC that has 3 analog inputs( one pair balanced) OR a preamp that has a great DAC section .

I have a few in mind but know nothing of them and obviously there may be many more.

Mytek Manhattan
PS Audio Stellar Gain Cell
NAD M12
Simaudio 350 DP

Any others and has anybody direct experience with any of these?
Thank you