Best DAC for around $2,500 or less

What are your opinions on the best DAC for under $2,500?  Looking at the Schiit Yggy or many of recommend Denafrips so looking at their Pontus.  Any thoughts on how these two compare?  It might be misguided by I tend to think your getting a little more for your money with a direct to consumer company like Schiit and I know they are highly regarded for their DACS.  Anything else to look at in this price range? 
mvrooman1526
The Schiit GUNGNIR Multibit sounded so good after 2 weeks I upgraded to the Yggdrasil. I couldn’t be happier. 
Keep in mind beyond the price of a dac is the cabling, power cord, shelf, isolation costs then it goes into a preamp which may or may not be capable of showing the dac off in the best light
I have an Oppo 105 which I bought exclusively to listen to SACD/DVD-A discs. A couple years back my red book player (used as a transport) died and while I was in search of its replacement I used my 105 for red book too, via Silver Surfer XLRs to my preamp/dac.

I came across 2 105 upgrades on Ebay; one being a Furutech rhodium IEC with pure silver tail that attached directly to the OEM power supply. Seeing how easy it was to pop the top and how pathetic the OEM PS is, I then replaced the OEM PS with an aftermarket that has a large toroid and much better parts (~ $200).

Eventually I bypassed my Marantz HD CD 1 and my preamp and use the 105 for red book too. Sounds great and for about a $1000 less than a dac, let alone all the ancillaries
Another big improvement was replacing the Silver Surfer XLRs with WireWorld Eclipse

hth
I prefer FPGA dacs.  if if you don’t need balanced connections and can deal with limited inputs  I would look seriously at the Chord Hugo 2.  Definitely a step up from the Qutest and you can attach the 2Go streamer.  Works as home or portable.  
I am very partial to my Benchmark DAC 2 HGC but I have not had the opportunity to compare it to any other DACs in this price range.
I suggest the Ayre CODEX DAC.  The CODEX DAC has many design features not commonly found in a DAC that retails for $1,795.  One is a pure analog, linear power supply instead of the more commonly found switching power supply.  

The CODEX DAC has "A fully-balanced signal path throughout the analog circuitry provides an inherently clean and quiet backdrop for your music. The zero-feedback design maintains all of the pace and rhythm of your favorite artist, rendering your digital music as effortlessly as if it were live”.   Please see this link:

https://www.ayre.com/products/digital/codex/