Best DAC around 1,000

I hate to do it, but I have been searching for a DAC to match up to an old (10 years) CD player, with an eye to upgrading to a transport after the DAC, and thought I would make everybody trot out their "best of" opinions again. Yes, I looked, but I only saw several threads on best CD players, one on best tube DACs, and one on best DAC under $500. My interest is in the $1,000 range (other gear: Plinius SA-100 Mk III amp, Rogue 99 pre and Coincident Super Eclipse speakers).

Give me your best shot!! Maybe even just say what you bought (if in this range), but say why and what you compared it to. Thanks!!
seldenr

Showing 1 response by soix

The Millennium DAC II from Electronic Visionary Systems(www.tweakaudio.com) will be hard to beat and you can try it risk free for 30 days. I have the DAC 1(the original model) and have been thrilled with it and can't wait to upgrade to the DAC II. Prior to the DAC 1 I had a Dusty Vauder modified MSB Link DAC which was a big improvement over my original CD player but was definately veiled and soft when compared to the DAC 1. The most amazing thing about the DAC 1 is the utter clarity of the soundstage--so much so that the vocals and instruments seem to pop out in a 3D way from a silent, black backdrop. The detail and dynamics are outstanding and will allow you to get the most out of your other excellent components. All I can say is that since I've had this DAC in my system I can't imagine living without it, and the DAC II is supposed to be a significant improvement over the DAC 1. Ric Schultz has upgraded the chip set to the best Burr Browns available, eliminated all op amps from the signal path to further purify the sound, and has included upsampling. And it's also upgradeable to the new formats, but 2-channel only. I've got to go, I'm starting to salivate. Try it and I bet you buy it. Best of luck.

Tim