Best CD Player under $1000

Dear everyone, I would like to get some of your opinions on CD player upgrade under consideration. I have following audio system: Quad 405-2 power, Quad 33 pre-amp, NAD 512 CD player, B&W CDM1 SE, Tara Lab Prism 22 interconnect, and MIT T2 Biwire speaker cables. Mostly I listen to classical music, ranging from piano, cello, to orchestral works, sometimes jazz. I would like to get clean, accurate, detailed, transparent, a great soundstage, and depth? As a first step, I am considering upgrading my CD player. Which CD player under $1000 can give a clean, accurate, detailed, transparent, a great soundstaging, and depth sound and that provide a great upgrade option as a CD transport in case that I buy DAC later on? Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your time in advance.
jwmin

Showing 2 responses by mr_gridlock

Tough call. I'm in much the same boat (also looking for the "best" CD player under $1k). I'm listened to many in production models and to some used, i.e. older equipment. Since I don't listen to all that much classical (rock and jazz for me), we might not want the same things from our CD players. However, here's what I've found: Rotel RCD-971 for $699. Fantastic player. A real stand out. Rega Planet for $795. Warm with some roll off to the highs. Pioneer Elite PD-65 for $800. Good overall. NAD C-540 for $499. Not bad at all from NAD. Cambridge Audio D500 for $499. Impressive sound, not too keen on the build. Sony XA20ES for $700. Built like a tank (like the Pioneer). Sound is okay. For my money, if I decide to go with a CD player, I'd go with the Rotel. You need to audition them yourself. I've also thought about going with a transport/DAC combo. Here I'd look at buying a used CD player and get one of two new DACs. I'm looking at a Cal Audio DX-2 or Cal Audio Delta transport, or even a Rega Planet (if I could get a real steal on one) for the transport. Then possibly the MSB Link DAC ($399) or the EVS Millenium DAC-1 ($650; only available online fom http://www.tweakaudio.com). The DAC-1 has some very impressive reviews on http://www.audioreview.com). Since I can't really audition the transport/DAC before buying, I'm going to have to get a real good deal on a transport to make me want to give it a go. EVS gives you a 30-day money-back deal, so I guess if you ended up hating the Millenium DAC, you could return it. But with the solid 5 star ratings on this DAC, it doesn't sound like much else compares to it for the money. Always have to say "for the money."
Speaking of digital outs, the lower end Sony's seem to only have TOS-link out. I don't really think in a 1m run there's going to be that much difference from coax, but not all DACs have an optical in. If you do go separates, and not a single CD player, make sure your transport and DAC have compatible connectors.