Best CD Player for under $5,000

I am currently using a Yamaha s2300 Universal Player into
a Proceed AVP2 Pre/Pro. I am getting pretty good sound,
but I suspect I can get better sound from my CD's with a
better CD player. I've seen a lot of enthusiasm for the
the Musical Fidelity NuVista 3D, the Linn Ikemi, and Wadia.

A Proceed PMDT might have some synergy with the AVP2
and it also plays DVD's, but I have heard mixed reviews
on this piece and I am pretty happy with the Yamaha DVD
Player [Which will also play SACD's and DVD-A's if I ever
get any]. Any experience and/or opinions with the PMDT
will be appreciated.

I don't want to buy anything unless it will seriously kick
the Yamaha s2300's tail sonically on redbook CD's, I am
willing to spend up to $5,000, and I am willing to buy used
to get higher quality for less money.

Recommendations?

Thanks,

Rob
rsbeck

Showing 2 responses by hififred

Wow! Did you open a can of worms! I'm currently using a Cary 306/200 and love it. There's lots of fantastic players at the 5 large price point. It really depends on what you want in your system, as each player will provide you with unique characteristics. I suggest you the research, and try to listen to as many as possible. If you're willing to pay a little more than 5, say $5200 and you want a new, cutting edge player, the Music Fidelity Tri-Vista has been getting a lot of positive press.
Warren, I agree with what I think you're trying to say: that you don't have to spend $5000 any longer to get a player comparable to the Cary 306/200. However, a slightly used 306/200 can be had on this site for a little under $3000, which is about what I paid.
Back to Rsbeck's new question regarding likes/dislikes of indiivdual players. The Cary is an extremely fast player with tons of midrange. Voices sound incredible, upper treble is decent and bass is powerful, yet not as tight as-lets say-the new Ayre player. However, the Ayre does not have the speed of the Cary, it actually sounds slow in comparison. According to the Positive Feedback folks, the Resolution Audio Opus 21 player sounds better when compared to the Cary and costs $3500 factory direct with 30 day trial period.