best cartridge under $500

I purchased a VPI HW19 Mk3 w/ sme 3009 series 2. I would like to stick with a $5-700 price range. I have lot of used records and 180 gram ones, also "rough" records that have some scratches. Is there any particular cart or stylus type would you recommend?
jhorsh

Showing 1 response by dougdeacon

What phono stage will you be using? Without knowing that a cartridge recommendation is worthless, especially an MC recommendation, since MC's often have specific requirements for phono stage gain and impedance.

That said, unless you're prepared to spend $2K+ for a high quality LOMC, and have the rest of the system to get the most from it, IME you'll do as well or better sonically and much better financially with a good MM.

My reference cartridge is a $5K LOMC and I've had many other MC's in my system, from $500 to $12K. I also own an Ortofon M20FL Super, a really good MM ($150 on ebay). It outplays any of those LOMC's up to around $2K. For my money that makes any MC for < $2K a waste.

Check out Raul's MM vs. MC thread for ideas. Buy a few good MM's for $200 or less until you find one you like. Sell the rest and put $3-500 toward upgrading something else, like those scratched LPs! ;-)