Best cartridge under $100 - vintage Akai TT

I recently acquired a vintage Akai AP-Q80 direct drive TT, fully auto, with a "S" tonearm, standard mount. (My Beogram 4002 crapped out.) It has an ADC Ser-III cart and it just doesn't sound very good. Stylus cantilever looks corroded.
I'm running it into a Proton 1100 pre-amp with nice sounding phono stage for MM or MC.
Cartridges I'm considering:
• Sumiko Pearl
• AT-440MLa
• Ortofon OM-5E, OM-10, OM-20, Red
• Denon DL110 (a little outside my budget)
• Grado - Pick a color

I'll be playing a mix of classical chamber and symphony (CBS Masterworks, digitally remastered), classical guitar. old rock, blues, Dizzy and Miles. (Some are noisy LPs.)

My budget is really at $100, but if I can get something that will do the job at $60... after years as a carpenter, my hearing is not as refined as it used to be. I'm a bit sensitive to upper register harshness.

Any help??
Thanks in advance.
Craig
craig_c

Showing 1 response by zenblaster

I have used the ShureM97xe on a Technics DD table and was very impressed. The Sumiko Pearl, not so much. But, if you can handle the extra money the Denon will not dissappoint you, much more coherent sound than the Pearl on my table. Take Johnny53's advice, he has never steered me wrong. Kevin at KAB USA would be the person to speak to about DD vs. belt drive and the issue of motor rumble. Care does need to be taken in isolating the lp from the deck, nothing that a good mat can't handle though.