Best Budget system? $500-$750 tops

Partially out of curiousity and partially because I am pondering this myself for a second set-up, can a moderately musical system be set-up for $500-$750???

Components:
CD
Integrated
Speakers

(cabling, stands etc. would be above and beyond)

Here's my submission:

I first heard a pair of Kirksaeter Silverline 60's at a local dealer and was impressed for their size and price, they were also modestly paired with a Pioneer Elite A35r integrated amp and multi-disc CDP (forget model). There retail price is $850, however I've seen them go on here for more like $300. So...

CDP - Pioneer Elite DV-45a $240
Integrated - Pioneer Elite A-35r $165
Speaker - Kirkseater Silverline 60 $300

Total - $705

How musical that system is is questionable, but for the price I beleive it would be musically tolerable. In my case the system would be background and entertaining only, so I think it would perform pretty well in those functions.

So, what's your BUDGET system look like?
jh2os

Showing 1 response by pabelson

I'd go in a different direction. using new components:

CD: Panasonic DVD player ($80)
Amplification: Onkyo TX-8211 stereo receiver (seriously) ($200)

That leaves you $220-$470 for speakers, and lots of options. I'd recommend listening to whatever Paradigm and PSB have in that range, even if you ultimately decide you like something else better.

As for the (un)conventional choice of a stereo receiver, it's not perfect, but the cheapest NAD integrated is double the price, which really cuts into your options speaker-wise.

The Pioneer integrated is good if you can still find it (I think it's discontinued), and you might do better with a used integrated, but I wouldn't spend more than $200 on one for a system like this.