Best Budget system? $500-$750 tops

Partially out of curiousity and partially because I am pondering this myself for a second set-up, can a moderately musical system be set-up for $500-$750???

Components:
CD
Integrated
Speakers

(cabling, stands etc. would be above and beyond)

Here's my submission:

I first heard a pair of Kirksaeter Silverline 60's at a local dealer and was impressed for their size and price, they were also modestly paired with a Pioneer Elite A35r integrated amp and multi-disc CDP (forget model). There retail price is $850, however I've seen them go on here for more like $300. So...

CDP - Pioneer Elite DV-45a $240
Integrated - Pioneer Elite A-35r $165
Speaker - Kirkseater Silverline 60 $300

Total - $705

How musical that system is is questionable, but for the price I beleive it would be musically tolerable. In my case the system would be background and entertaining only, so I think it would perform pretty well in those functions.

So, what's your BUDGET system look like?
jh2os

Showing 3 responses by jh2os

Both NAD and Cambridge Audio crossed my mind as well. I was surprised how good the Kirksaeter's sounded on the a35r amp though! And the DVD capabilities of the Pioneer would allow me to add a small plasma at a later date if I wanted to. I guess an all-in-one 'L' series unit from NAD could do the same?
Reubent, I too have seperate 2-channel and HT set-ups, just looking for something for the LR on the cheap! ;)

I looks like you may have nailed it! I picked one up, now I just need speakers. Thanks! It should be interesting to see what this things got. For the price though, even if it doesn't perform, I'm not out much and it can move to the bedroom! ;)
Srbarnett, I felt much the same way, even though I only listened to them in BestBuy, I figured even a better set-up couldn't help these speakers. A totally unengaging sound IMO. I am enjoying the Sharp (arrived yesterday) though. I currently have it set up with my Aperion 522's, stolen from rear channel duty in the HT temporarily. I think I am going to try a pair of Totem Acoustic Dreamcatchers with it next.