Best budget bookshelf speakers for 3-600 dollars.

Hello all now that I've made a decision to stray away from active monitors (genelec 1029a) I need to decide upon what I can best get for my money. As a reference I would like to tell you what kind of headphones I own so you can have a taste of what I like. I own Senhessier 580 aswell as etymotic 4s and 6I and some shure 3.

I mostly listen to classical (brass music, big ochestra) and jazz (clark terry, lester young etc). I do have my ocassional moments when I go rock crazy for awhile. I know there all different mediums are there any speakers that can handle all pretty well for the price range 3-600 dollars used or new (lower better more around 4-500 just willing to plunk a little more if need be).

Feel free to give me any models. I live in NYC so am sure I can find someplace. Speaking of NYC where are the good places. The only place I've been to is soundexchange and I don't much like the sales people there.

Thanks again like always.
daimbert

Showing 4 responses by unsound

I'll second Sfar's and third Timrhu's recommendations. I am concerned about the new info re: computer source and bedroom location though. Where these speakers are to be positioned and your listening position are very relevent issues. This may be more of a concern with 1st order speakers like the Meadowlark, Vandersteens et al..Many speakers need a minimum distance from the listener to achieve performance potential. As for the computer source, that might be another issue. What are your plans for amplification?
Perhaps you could give us actual room dimensions and your planned speaker placement and listening distances? Do you plan to listen to the integrated amp/speakers while using your computer and/or watching TV?
Looks like you'll just make it for most of the floor standing 1st order speakers. The Meadowlarks with their high efficency and easy impedance will probably work just fine with an intergrated amp. Make sure your not closer than 8' from listening position to speakers though.