Best "Bookshelves" for $500? new or used

About two months ago I got a pair of B&W 601 series 2 for $500 to go w/ my used, budget "mid-fi" system: 1)Rotel RB-980BX amp (120W), 2)Rotel RC-972 pre-amp, 3)DIY TNT-audio X 1.5 IC's (12 strand,30 GA silver-coated OFC), and 4)bi-wired Chris Venhaus DIY (27 pair braid) Cat 5 teflon speaker cables. Originally, I used a Denon 360 carousel w/ Alpha processor (5 cdp for girlfriend) as my source, but found the highs to be really agressive at times (sibilance?). So, I switched to the Denon 370 carousel w/ Burr Brown's. Beautifully warm and smooth unit initially that is oh-so silky, but after a few days I realized that it seriously lacked detail, highs rolled off, and made mid-bass boomy. So I think I'll get a used MSB Link DAC 1 (upgrade later) and a decent 5 disc transport. Anyway, after breaking in, the B&W's seemed like a great buy, but now I'm beginning to think that high freq trouble may be a result of their tweeter and maybe they aren't as engaging as they should be. Possibly because B&W really meant these for home theater. Now I am looking for something w/ better soundstage, imaging, and presense. I now this is a tall order for $500 (used), but something that will fill my room with a detailed, spacious, engaging sound. Preferably bi-wirable now that I spent a month making the cables. I've read great things about the Paradigm Atoms for $200 new, but maybe these are the new budget flavor of the year. Any suggestions? Feel free to email me. Victor
darkmoebius917e

Showing 1 response by dekay

Dark: If you have not adressed the "isolation" of your player, you are just spinning your wheels, so to speak, trying to improve the sound of your system. The Vibrapods and a sheet of MDF that I mentioned in another thread are the cheapest solution ($24.00 + $2.00 to $3.00) to what you are experiencing. This combo is the least that can be done that will greatly improve your sound. The Vibrapods only isolate the platform from external vibration and the next step would be to use cone points from your player to the platform to drain off vibration from the player. The second step though can degrade the sound if the quality of the player is not high enough. I am telling this to you (for the last time, LOL) as friendly advice as I understand that you are on a beer/wine cooler budget. I have a very good but not too expensive digital front end, however if I remove the isolation components from my player and DAC the sound deteriorates greatly and my equipment is fairly well isolated on its own (contained in a 300lb plus cabinet to the side and behind my speakers). I also use the Pods on an inexpensive two unit mini system with the same results, the sound is more detailed yet much smoother at the same time. Try placing different items from the household under your player (telephone book, hard cover coffee table book, mouse pads, tennis balls and whatever) and you will see how each changes the sound of your system. For $24.00 you can get something specifically designed for the purpose of improving the sound.