Best "Bookshelves" for $500? new or used

About two months ago I got a pair of B&W 601 series 2 for $500 to go w/ my used, budget "mid-fi" system: 1)Rotel RB-980BX amp (120W), 2)Rotel RC-972 pre-amp, 3)DIY TNT-audio X 1.5 IC's (12 strand,30 GA silver-coated OFC), and 4)bi-wired Chris Venhaus DIY (27 pair braid) Cat 5 teflon speaker cables. Originally, I used a Denon 360 carousel w/ Alpha processor (5 cdp for girlfriend) as my source, but found the highs to be really agressive at times (sibilance?). So, I switched to the Denon 370 carousel w/ Burr Brown's. Beautifully warm and smooth unit initially that is oh-so silky, but after a few days I realized that it seriously lacked detail, highs rolled off, and made mid-bass boomy. So I think I'll get a used MSB Link DAC 1 (upgrade later) and a decent 5 disc transport. Anyway, after breaking in, the B&W's seemed like a great buy, but now I'm beginning to think that high freq trouble may be a result of their tweeter and maybe they aren't as engaging as they should be. Possibly because B&W really meant these for home theater. Now I am looking for something w/ better soundstage, imaging, and presense. I now this is a tall order for $500 (used), but something that will fill my room with a detailed, spacious, engaging sound. Preferably bi-wirable now that I spent a month making the cables. I've read great things about the Paradigm Atoms for $200 new, but maybe these are the new budget flavor of the year. Any suggestions? Feel free to email me. Victor
darkmoebius917e

Showing 5 responses by darkmoebius917e

Maybe the problem is upstream of the speakers, although I have read quite a few other review/postings that mention the brightness of these speakers. But, maybe I should try out another pre-amp with the Denon 360 (the Alpha DAC is precise). I've always wanted (since college) a CJ setup, maybe this is the time to pick up a used pre and try it out.
I think my initial post may have been misleading Sugarbie, something about the 601's has a tendency to be annoyingly bright and grating, which I assumed to be the tweeters, but could be a result of my CD player, pre-amp, or both. I mentioned the two Denon's because the have diametrically opposed affect on sound - the 360 (w/ aplha DAC) is sharp and precise w/ great imaging (and fairly bright), the 370 (w/ Burr Brown's) is warm and silky smooth, but lacks detail and poor soundstage, it really compresses things. Even thoug it was warm, there still was that sibilance below the murky sound. Maybe I'm asking Ferari performance out of Corvette components. Don't get me wrong, I think the 601's, compared to similar Paradigm's and NHT's, are really amazing speakers for the price. If it wasn't for the aggressive highs, they'd be near perfect. But, I keep reading about other bookshelves that have wide and deep soundstage and all I can think is "I want it!". Someone on Audioreview's forum suggested Triangle Titus xs's. Have either of you two heard these, they are French and I assume not to common over hear.
Seeing how the right sound is so personal. Thanks for reminding me Dekay, I blew off your suggestion last time as hocus-pocus, but for $30 bucks it is probably the first thing I should try (at least I can still use it wherever I end up). 1) I'll get back the Denon 360 ($150) (w/ Alpha DAC) because I have to have a 5 cd player (girlfriend) and the DAC really expanded the soundstage with clarity. The 370 just sounds too compressed and muffled for me. 2) Try it w/ telephone book, etc., then pods and MDF.3) Borrow a good single player and try sound through the pre and sourced direct to the amp 4) I'll know if it is either the speaker or the pre, 5) Try the CJ pv10 or Triangle's, or Phase Tech Teatro 4.5's accordingly. On the CJ PV-10AL, I see they go for $600 and up, that is quite a jump from the $200 I paid for the Rotel. This might lead me to switch speakers first because I can make a horizontal move (+ or - $75) easily. I should state for the record, that the B&W 601 s2's are absolutely incredible speakers for $450 w/ tax, even better since I see people getting them for $350 now (just my luck, 2 mos later). I think the problem is that the B&W's and the Rotel components are both a little bright, and together it is too much. Thank you all, and if you have any more input, please let me know.