Best AV receiver to use as an AV pre amp

I want to get another AV receiver, but I want one that has a really good pre section in it so I can also use it well for 2 channel music. I have a Bryston 5B ST that I use for the front 3 channels(and for 2 channel music), but I want to use the internal amps in the receiver for the surround channels only (hence why I can't use *just* a preamp).
I am using my Denon AVR 2808 as the pre now with the Bryston and it is OK, but I feel is really holding it back.
Any suggestions on what would be a go AV receiver that has a great preamp section in it ?
dallyd31

Showing 2 responses by bo1972

The Onkyo PR-SC5509 is a bargain. Wenn you use it with Audessey pro there is nothing to beat. Denon, Nad, Marantz and even Bryston are all 2-dimensional brands. These Brands are not capable of depth, only a little max. This means almost all instruments and voices are on one line. I call this standard audio. Depth is the most exiting part in highend audio. I have an extreme 3d holographic image. Now voices are even more open then wenn I used and owned the Pass labs XP-20.
The new series of NAD or not the best in sound anymore. I bought in 2008 the whole series what they had to offer were I worked at that moment. It was the wordt thing I ever did in audio. It lost all the battles with Primare, cambrigde and arcam. I was dissapointed in the harsh sound, poor focus and many amp's, surround amp's and cd player were broke within a few weeks. There was no brand with so many problems. I always give clients a few different brand to listen at. Nad was by far the worst brand we had. Wenn I did a comparisson witht the people of NAD they did not know what to say. I said: the peolple of NAD have to work harder to compeet again.