Best and Worst sound at the CES Show 2004

The Best, I would vote for the Wavac room. Amazing!!!! Well, those amps are like.. ... $350k..???
They were playing Peggy Lee "Fever" and it was amazing.
Accuphase room was good as well. Beautiful sound came out from Avanlon speakers.

The worst??? Many... I was disapointed and surprised... among the worst room:
- Burmester (no imaging, get headache if listen for 5min.)
- Lamn (terrible, so digital sound, like my computer)
- VTL (the worst of the worst). They used the Wilson Audio speakers and the sound was so bad? Why? Wrong set-up? Wrong CD????
linkoping

Showing 1 response by larryi

Yes, they were playing a $1400 integrated amp. Sorry, but I don't recall what speakers they had coupled to the amp. This was a very good bargain system, one of the best at CES. The other bargain systems I like were the Consonance electronics with a pair of cheap speakers (again my memory fails me) at T.H.E. Show, and the Trenner & ____ speakers (new Austrian firm) being shown by the distributor for Basis turntables (they shared a room at CES).

As to the original post, I thought the WAVAC room was okay, nothing special. I also thought the VTL room was okay. The VTL/Wilson Maxx system sounded a bit like a cheap PA system when played in pentode mode, but they improved greatly in triode mode. The Maxx sounded better in the Audio Research room at T.H.E. Show.