I moved a slightly modified version of this to the amps/preamps forum here. I realized too late, that most headphone oriented enthusiasts simply wouldnt deal with enough speaker amplifiers to answer this. Thanks.
16 responses Add your response
Sounds like a SS Class-A amp might be the ticket. If you can find a Plinius SA102 it should have ample power and warmth while being well within your budget. It also has a handy low-bias switch for less-critical listening or if you want to leave the amp powered up but not blow up your electric bill. Best of luck in your search, and congrats on the new earspeaks!
I'll add my "+1" to the Schiit Audio Jotunheim R headphone amp. It was released a few months ago, and was an amp specifically designed for the RAAL Requisite SR1a headphones. You don't need a separate speaker amplifier.
The Jotunheim R will put out 13 amps of current per channel. It also has the baffle compensation required for these headphones. Here's a link:
For the RAAL SR1a I have or had in the house by either buying or demoing (2 weeks or longer) the following gear:
- Benchmark AHB2 + DAC3B + HPA4 = awful with SR1a
- Benchmark AHB2 x 2 + DAC3B + HPA4 = not so awful but not great (my 2 channel reference gear)
- Benchmark AHB2 x2 + AudioMirror Tubadour III SE (AMT3SE) tube DAC + HPA4 = very good
- CODA CSiB (from July 2018 build) + AMT3SE DAC = 10/10
- CODA CSiB + Benchmark DAC3B = 9/10
- KRELL K-300i + internal DAC = 7/10
- KRELL K-300i + AMT3SE DAC = 10/10
- RAAL HSA-1b + Benchmark DAC3B = 9/10 but I was not able to test with XLR which is better
- CODA 07x preamp (not delivered yet) + AMT3SE DAC + Benchmark AHB2 single amp = TBD
I sold the CODA CSiB and use the KRELL in another room now which does not have the RAAL amp interface box or a better external DAC.
I wrote a long write up about this testing I did in the Headphone section title "Best Speaker ..."