best all-round,full range at $2000

Looking for a full range offering at the 2K price point. I'll be playing orchestral, big band jazz, small combo jazz, male & female vocal bits, solo acoustic instrumentals, and classic rock. So, what say ye? What's the best all-rounder at the 2K mark. New, or gently used works for me~
gregcon57

Showing 1 response by shoe

Hi Greg
I've had several speakers in that price range here in my home. I have a 17 x 13 room, a little larger than yours.

Tried the VR 2's, could not tame the bass boom even with the lead shot and with speakers 4 feet from the walls. They sounded this way at the dealer but I thought I'd try them out anyways...whoops. Not good for my room.

I had a pair of older used Vandersteen 3A's here but thought they mixed up things a bit and upper freq. tended to be on the harsh side in my room.

Had good luck with the Vandersteen 2ce sigs. and was suprised that there was a lack of annoying bass boom despite the rear firing 10" woofer, full sound..but wanted better resolution.

Meadowlark Osprey's were great..everywhere, except I wanted a little more bass extension..might work great in a smaller room. Beautiful speaker.

Revel F30...wow, now this is a good speaker, they look like big thugs but sure can carry a tune, midrange fabulous depth and wide dispersion, bass is well extended, could at times overwelm the room with bass heavy material but usually well behaved. May not work in a small room. I sometimes wish I had kept these.

Had the Gallo Ref. 3 here also. Great little speaker, tight bass, detailed (highs almost 3D) they possess perhaps the best tweeter I have had here. But I kept wanting deeper bass extension and the small mid range drivers lacked depth I thought.

Now I have a pair of older Meadowlark Herons. Full range fantastic bass with a terrific overall balance. I would recommend these but they are rare on the used market.
Don't think I helped much but good luck!
Courious as to what you end up with!