Best Albums of 2008 on Vinyl

here is my list

1. Black Mountain - Into the Future

Best Album of the year IMO. Goes from 70's prog rock to alt folk in single chord changes. Great dense analog recording as well

2. Guttertwins

- was neck and neck for album of the year as well. Superb dark, haunting slow buring rock albums from Mark Lanegan & Greg Dulli. Super recording that matches the musical mood.

3. Portishead - 3

Comeback of the year for sure - This album is another haunting electronic soundtrack of the year. IMO their best. Great dynamic recording

4. Fuck Buttons - Stree Horrssing

Noise does not get any better than this. Like one giant soundscape of noise over 2 LP's. Easily the most original album of the year - brilliant recording as well

5. Wire - Object 47

What a return to form from the original punkrsters from the 70's. Still creating great layed music now, only with a little less punk but still attitude. Rrecording good, EP tRead & Burn 3 hat comes with the LP version is fantastic.

6. Cyrstal Castles
Super debut full lengthg albuim from the Canadian duo. Pop, electronic, dance music - call it what you want it is great music. recording is dynamic and clear

7. The Presets - Apocalypso

Can't add too much but say go out and and buy this great Aussie 80's retro synth sounding band that together with Cut Copy this year made it very big globally. recording is compressed but is still listenable on a big system

8. NIN - The Slip

Trent has certainly been churning out music since he left the big music labels. this album is Trent back to his very best, only let down by a rather slow timid ending to the album. great recording

9. MGMT - Oracular Spectacular

Great album that I really did not expect to like, but it is really is good in an electro folk sounding way. SWuper singles like "time to pretend". Recording is just terrible, bass is non existent - easily the worst sounding album I have bought this year and seemingly recorded only for MP3.

10. The Cure - 4.13 Dream

I had quite a few albums vying to bring home the top ten, however old favourite the Cure did it. Nothing new in this new LP, however ity does imerse you in the gravy thick sonics and the music is emersing as well.

Honorable mentions
- TV on the Radio
- Oasis
- Kings Of Leaon
- Paul Weller
- Nick Cave
- Mogwai
downunder

Showing 1 response by wes4390

David Gilmore live in Gdansk................has to be the best live alobum ever