Best 845 tube out there?

I am running a pair of Cary CAD-211AE monoblocks with the standard no-name Chinese tubes shipped by Cary. Whilst I am happy with the sound, I think I should buy a pair of 845's to keep as backup in case something happens to these tubes.

Because I will need to buy FOUR of them, this rules out any tube that sells for stupid money (e.g. vintage RCA 845 tubes).

The only current production 845's I am aware of are:

- Shuguang 845 "standard"
- Shuguang 845B
- Shuguang 845C
- Shuguang PSVANE 845
- KR Audio 845

I have found reviews of the Shuguang 845B and 845C, but there is virtually no information out there on the new Shuguang "psvane" 845. Has anybody heard this valve, and is it a noticable improvement over the 845B and C? Also, what do people think of the KR?
amfibius

Showing 9 responses by t_ramey

@ecll80 Looking forward to your impressions of the WE. I’ve been contemplating upgrading my Shuguang 845B’s to the WE version on my Melody AN845 amp but haven’t pulled the trigger. I have heard though that the Melody amp doesn’t exactly show big differences between the B’s and more expensive 845 tubes. But I do have friends with LM gear that have had good success with the Psvane WE845 making a nice improvement.
@parsons  Good to know about the Elrogs in the Melody, they're pretty pricey. How would you describe the difference between the Shuguang 845A and B?

Are these what you're using?

http://www.tube-sale.com/index.php/tubes/shuguang/shuguang-hifi-845/
@parsons  Any particular reason you opted for the Psvane WE and not the Shuguang?
@parsons  Please chime in when you get the Psvane WE845’s and have a chance to try them in the Melody. I got a pair of the cheaper standard 845’s from Shuguang and thought they sounded great until today they started to crap out on me. So back to the 845b’s for now. 
I just noticed the tube-sale.com link I posted earlier in this thread where I just bought the 845’s is no longer there. Some crappy looking website is there instead. Shuguang must be having some issues...
@parsons  That's great to hear! Thanks for sharing your thoughts about the Psvane WE845's with the Melody. Wonder how much time is needed on them to fully settle with their sound...