Best 845 tube out there?

I am running a pair of Cary CAD-211AE monoblocks with the standard no-name Chinese tubes shipped by Cary. Whilst I am happy with the sound, I think I should buy a pair of 845's to keep as backup in case something happens to these tubes.

Because I will need to buy FOUR of them, this rules out any tube that sells for stupid money (e.g. vintage RCA 845 tubes).

The only current production 845's I am aware of are:

- Shuguang 845 "standard"
- Shuguang 845B
- Shuguang 845C
- Shuguang PSVANE 845
- KR Audio 845

I have found reviews of the Shuguang 845B and 845C, but there is virtually no information out there on the new Shuguang "psvane" 845. Has anybody heard this valve, and is it a noticable improvement over the 845B and C? Also, what do people think of the KR?
amfibius

Showing 17 responses by goldeneraguy

Please keep us posted on your thoughts of the CT-1UR
Although your cables far exceed my budget I enjoy hearing of what is possible
Assuming that the supplied 845 for the Cary 211 uses 3.5 amps of filament current then a Shuguang tube should be used.The KR tubes use 1 amp of filament current and will be overloaded unless resisters are changed.Check your owners manual or call Cary to be sure.
As for my preference,I use the 845B.
Hifi223 , Are you sure the new TJ Full Music 845 are speced to match the Shuguang 845.I couldn't find any info on this.
In the past the TJ Full Music was close to the KR 845 tubes which couldn't be used in many amps.
Looking forward to your thoughts on the TJ tubes.
From which seller did you purchase them
Brf, Thank you for the info.Do you know the filiment current for the TJ standard and the carbon plate 845 ??
Jwm....looking forward to your thoughts.
Keep us informed
Where do you buy Shuguang or Psvane these days.
Jeff....I looked at your system,your room and WOW.
Now an Absolare 845.
Too bad your not in the New York metro area.I'd be your new best friend.
Enjoy
Tcscata Glad your enjoying your WE845's.On what I have read I may be buying a pair.
Wondering if you or any other posters heard the Elrog or Sophia 845 MK3.If so your thoughts please
Jwm, Thank you for your post.
Yes the Elrog's are costly and I did read of reliability issuse's with the 211 but this may just be an isolated case.
I still have some time left on my Shuguang B's.Ideally, I will get to hear these tubes before purchasing
Tcsanta Thank you for your thoughts on the WE 845.
My birthday is on the horizen so I just might treat myself.
Or will it be the Sophia 845 MK3 that I may get to hear in my system.
Enjoy
Charles1dad Yes you would assume that EML and Takatsuki could develp a top notch 845.
However from what I have read Sophia Electric has an outstanding 300B and yet I cant find anything pro or con on their 845 MK3
Regards
I took the plunge about 3 months ago and purchased a pair of WE845
replica's from Grant Fidelity.
Excellent tube. Much better then the Shuguang 845B tubes I had been useing
Read Tcscata's 3/13/14 review which is spot on.
Enjoy
Findog , I have deHavilland 845G mono amps powering Horning Aristotles Ultimate hybrid horns
Of course your source and pre are extremely important as well as wires room,power, anti vibration tweeks and on and on and on
Calloway,great system.
I have been told of a potential problem with the longevity of the Elrog 845.
I am now told that any problem that may have occured has been corrected.
Which power cords will you be demoing.
Sorry to hear about your problem with Sophia.You would think that at the very least tubes that are chosen to be used by the mfg. of the amp would not sound bad.
in the past i purchased 845B tubes from Sophia and had no problems.
But as you know anything can happen in this hobby.