Best 6922 tubes for Conrad-Johnson CT6 preamp

What would be the best sounding 6922 tubes for the CT6 Conrad-Johnson preamp ?
The unit came with Electoharmonix tubes, which I think lack in the low end. I replaced them with the Sovtek ones and I have a much better low end now (but along came microphonics..)
Has anyone tried any other 6922 tubes that give a better sound ?
gbel78

Showing 3 responses by jaffeassc

I’ll second Pabul57’s suggestion about contacting RAM or Vintage Tube. Both Roger and Andy are excellent sources. I’ve purchased from both. I also use 2 of Roger’s Music Reference RM10’s in mono with my CT6. A very nice combo indeed. Pick up the phone and call Roger. He normally answers the phone himself. At least he has every time I’ve called and he’s very accommodating. Definitely call Andy (and keep trying if you don’t get him). He does not answer emails, but is also very accommodating and will take the time to talk with you about your requirements. BTW, the CT 6 is self biasing so matched tubes are not critical, but shouldn’t cost any more and certainly can’t hurt.
Looks like my other post didn't come through, which was that I run Ameperex white label PQ's in my CT6. They're pricy but worth the money IMO. I've tried both EH and Sovtek which are dull and lifeless in comparrison.
I just picked up a used quad of vintage steel pin Siemens ECC88's (6DJ8 equivalent) to try in my CT6. The tubes are dead quiet. They're still a little on the "warm" side like the gold pin Amperex but more transparent and more extended in the highs. I've just started listening but I think I like them better than the Amperex and they seem to complement the CJ sound better as well. Supposedly the Siemens E88CC’s (6922 equivalent) can sound even better but I think you’d be hard pressed to beat the ones I just got.