Best 6922 or variant for Conrad-Johnson 16LS ?

Hello all,
I'm looking for 3 matched pairs of 6922's or variants for my CJ 16LS pre-amp. Right now I have the stock tubes and am curious of what NOS tubes may improve the sound. Amps are CJ Premier 12 monoblocks with B&W N802's.
Thanks,
Steve
steves71
Steve,

I have a premier 16LS. I really like the Tungsram ECC88. Has a great overall presentation that is similar to the Sovtek factory tubes but has no graininess. Also has a tout bass response. If you want a little livlier presentation try the Mullard ECC88's. Have not tried the Siemens or any 7308's as yet. Tube rolling is the way to go. You will be shocked at how much better this preamp sounds with NOS tubes.

Hope this helps,

JOhnny
Thanks JOhnny for your respose to Steve's inquiry. I posted
the same question a few weeks back and the only response was, "Do a search". Now, where did you buy the Tungsram and how much did it cost? Thanks.
As far as I know there is an Aesthetix equivalent dual triodes and they're very expancive.
Brandon,

Follow this link. Scroll down almost to the bottom of the page. He does not list a price, but I think they are $35.00 a piece. Don't hold me on that price, because it's been awhile.

http://www.tubeman.com/itmidx1.htm

Hope this helps,

Johnny
Brandon,

Do you have a MK I LS16 or a MK II. I have the MK I and am thinking of upgrading. Is the upgrade worth the $500.00?

thanks,

JOhnny
Johnny,
You hit the nail on the head with the graininess. I would love to remedy that. Does the Mullard give bass response as good as the Tunsgram? Thanks for your advise, Steve.
I am using the VALVO ECC88 NOS from West Germany. These tubes sound wonderful with the CJ 16LS. I enjoyed them so much I purchased fifty of them from Sonic Frontier at $30.00 each. If anyone needs them I can sell a few sets of six. Edward
Steve,

The Mullard is a great tube and is no slouch, but the bass is not up to the Tungsram in my opinion. The tungsrams bass is top notch. This may be due to the fact that the tube is a little laid back in my system. Has a great balanced presentation, but it's one flaw is that it can sound a little too warm in my system. I have Premier 16LS, Premier 8A's, Sony X7ESD which I use as a transport only, a Dodson DA-217 MK II D, Eggleston Andras. All cabling is Cardas Golden Reference. The Mullards seem to have a little more sparkle and the classic Mullard midrange. To tell the truth I interchange both depending on my mood.

Hope this helps,

JOhnny
Edward, can you describe the sound the Valvo delivers?
Johnny, No it doesn't help...now I want them both and thats more money j/k. I'm trying to track down the Tungsgram. I tried the link above and they are out. However they do have Brimars. Do you know if they are the same as the Mullards?

Thanks,
Steve
JOhnny,

I have the 16LS MK I. I'm not aware of a 16LS MK II.
Someone posted here a few weeks ago of upgrading their 16LS
to MK II status, but from his description of the upgrade, it didn't sound like it would be a significant upgrade, though he swears by the improvement. He also says the upgrade is supppose to bring the 16LS preformance up to the original ART MK I. If the upgrade can do that, then $500.00 would seem like a bargain.
Perhaps someone can give us more info regarding an upgrade.

I asked Kevin at Upscale Audio for a recommendation on tubes
for the 16LS and he suggests Russian nos 6H23s. I still have the original Sovteks in mine and will do more research.

Regards,
brandon
I think the Siemens CCa is the perfect tube, for the CJ's.It is definitely, one of the quietest tubes ever made, and it is extremely transparent. In any well made piece of tube gear, the tube will determine the sound. It's all a matter of personal tastes. I think the Siemens, being on the lighter side of the sonic spectrum, balances out nicely, the CJ's abundance of warmth. This combo, does it for me.
everyone this is a link to check out. I have found his observations to be pretty good.

http://www.audioasylum.com/audio/faq/joes-tubes.html#6DJ8