Best $500 System?

I have a good friend who is going through a lot of stress including financial and health and misses her music. Any thoughts on a "system" that would play CD's only all inclusive including speakers and amps new or used that might give her decent quality music in her home? she is sensitive to clean highs and does not need very loud or deep bass.
128x128gammajo
you can do better than a boom box

best bargain will be to look around a college campus as students leave for the summer

2nd best is to find a used stereo dealer in your town

for new, I'd look for a Marantz receiver (or Yamaha) and some small speakers along the lines of the old LS3/5a - Epos and many others make them - you will sacrifice bass to get a good smooth mid-range

Denon also makes good CD players

Next level up is brands like Oppo, Cambridge, etc.
I like the powered monitors and CD with variable output. KISS it. Active Quad 11l/12l (best as nearfield, but great all-round), Tannoy Revolution, etc.

I'm impressed with the JBL 4208 (and 4206) as an inexpensive pair of used speakers (not active) if you buy an amp. For a sweet top end, try some older Mission speakers. Heck, $100-200 can buy a lot of speaker for the money. I have a high end system, but finding the best "bang for the buck" is always a blast.
Post removed 
There are a pair of Epos 3s that came up today. Can be had for $180 including shipping. Pair them with a used integrated. Otherwise, a Pioneer A20 can be had new for $270.

The amplified speaker route is also viable. Get a pair that has the volume and amp in one of the speakers which drives both speakers.
Some have a built in DAC so that disc player can be run in via digital out. 
I suggest the audioengine HD3. They are amplified, veneered, and small. Perfect for a woman not concerned about bass. The JBL 305s sound great for the money, but I don't think many women would accept their looks. The Vanatoo Transparent one is my other suggestion. Superior sounding to the HD3, but $100 more in cost.