Best $500 amp to drive Paradigm Studio 100 V2s?

Hi all - first post here (I think?) Joined a while ago but have been a bystander until now.

I may be acquiring these speakers and I don't think my pair of 70 wpc B&K ST-140s will do them justice. Correct? I hear they really need a lot of power. Would be nice if I were wrong, as I am very happy with them.

Don't really want to spend too much more than $500. Looking for used (as always!)—Bryston 4B (the plain ol' 4B—all the others are $$$!), Anthem MCA 20, maybe NAD? Or... ?

Does anyone know exactly how much power the Studio 100s should have? I realize this may be subjective; I can't find an actual number mentioned anywhere despite combing the internets. North of 100 watts per 8ohms is what it seems like.

Any advice appreciated. The B&Ks are the only separates I've ever owned, so I am pretty much a total newbie to other makes. Open to integrated suggestions as well. Or, would be curious to hear what a good preamp (<$300) pairing would be with whatever amp is suggested (my Adcom GTP-500II is on its last legs).

Thanks!
fixilator

Showing 4 responses by zd542

There are many variables in a situation like this. You may have enough power, or you may not. The best way to tell is to try the new speakers with your current amp. Not having enough power is very easy to hear.

"Or, would be curious to hear what a good preamp (<$300) pairing would be with whatever amp is suggested "

Unless you get extremely lucky, you can't get a good preamp for $300, new or used. It would make more sense to go with a passive and use whatever is left over to get an amp.
Has anyone compared a Crown amp to a QSC? There was a lot of talk a few months back on how suitable pro gear was for home audio use. Out of curiosity, I bought a QSC pro amp to try. I chose that one because it was a traditional design, not Class D like the Crown. I don't have anywhere near the amount of experience with Class D as I do with a traditional design, so I thought the QSC would make for a more fair comparison. Since I never heard the Crown, I was wondering if anyone tried them both?
I forgot to mention in my last post that QSC amps are made in the USA. I think they're the only ones.