Best $4000-$5000 loudspeaker

- Price range from $4000 to $5000, new or used.
- Room average size.
- Average efficiency (or good, of course).
- -3dB at 40Hz or better bass extension.
- Capable to be enjoyable at low listening levels.

Opinions are welcome. I have not introduced higher constraints, so that opinions suit other enthusiasts.
Regards and thanks.
sony

Showing 1 response by krell_man

Used B&W Silver Signature 25's go for around $3000-$3500. They were $8000 new when they came out in 1991. I have a pair that replaced a pair of Dunlavy SC-IV's.

I've been looking to replace mine for a couple of years now. I thought that with the newer technology, like you, I could find something better in the $4000 - $5000 range, so I wouldn't be taking much of a loss.

I still honestly haven't found anything that has made me want to jump up and sell mine and buy them. I've been looking extremely hard, driving three hundred miles in any direction (like just wanting to buy a new car whether you need it or not).

I've heard a lot of speakers that sound really good and that I'd like to have, but not one to die for. The Silver Signature is the Father of the B&W Signature 805, but goes down to 35Hz. It's crystal clear down as low as it goes with no boominess. I sounds as good at low levels as it does rocking your world.

There's three pair listed on Audiogon right now, two gray and one brown, check out the pictures.