Best $200 speaker cables for overall performance?

I am considering the Straley Reality cables, also ran across the Components Plus Audio Horizons speaker cables. Both are in the ballpark, pricewise.

These will be for a pair of Legacy Audio Classic speakers, which go down to about 25hz, so I do place a high value on LF extension and quality and slam. Currently, they are powered by a Nakamichi receiver at 120wpc.

Any other great speaker cables come to mind for this setup?

Thanks much for any input.
mtrot

Showing 3 responses by jp1208

Mtrot, I don't know if you are done looking but I am having tremendous results with the Reality cables. They are extremely revealing. Well balanced top to bottom and a steal at there price point. In my system they really grabbed me. I changed one power cord and noticed the effect right away. I went to a 10 awg shielded power cord on the cdp and these speaker cables let me know I went in the right direction. I will be considering putting some good money into power cords now.
Angelsmtn, I am also interested in the cables you chose over Reality cables and the differences you heard between the two. Are they cheaper or more expensive? They should at least be in the $200-$300 range. A named brand speaker cable better than the Reality cable in this price range? You have my attention!
Anglesmtn, the JPS superconductor fx ic in my system sounded bloated and heavy in the bottom end. These to me seemed to roll off the highs to much. Very smooth on top but did not have that clean sparkly sound. They reminded me of the Audio Metallurgy GA-0 with better imaging. I never even would have thought to give these a mention based on price to performance. The Paul Speltz Anti ic's had a cleaner sound with more sparkle and sounded more life like on top. They are a bargain hands down. The Reality Cable ic's just made mince meat out of anything I have tried. The sound just exploded out of my JM Lab Electra’s. The soundstage grew way outside of the speakers. If anything at all these cables brought an enormous amount of life into this system.
The crashing of cymbals is just startling real with great weight through the frequencies. I would call these very neutral because there is not one frequency I could detect that takes over. The JPS SCFX to me is just not as balanced. You are right about ordering one set of cables and evaluating them and I started with the speaker cables first. This is just more proof that cables are definitely system dependent and synergy is the key to making one happy. I am glad you found your synergy. I guess we better get back to talking about speaker cables now.