Best 12AU7 Type Tubes for a Preamp

I am hoping for some help finding good quality and good sounding 12AU7 variant tubes for a preamp – I need two tubes. A price of around $100 each or less would be great but I would pay a bit more (150 ea.) for something that is likely to sound better. The unit came with JAN PHILIPS ECC82 (12AU7/5963) and I also own a pair of reissue/new Mullard ECC92 tubes. Both sets are quiet but I am wondering if there is something even better sounding at a moderate price.

Readily available NOS options I have seen include:

• NOS RCA Blackplate or Clear Top at about $100-150 EA.
  • Amprex 7316/ECC186 at around $150 each, and
  • Mullard CV4003/12AU7 $150ea.

New options I have found (in addition to Mullard) include (among others):

• Genalex - Gold Lion B749 / ECC82/12AU7, $70 ea.
  • Psvane 12AU7-S Art Series ECC82, $55 ea.

Thanks for any help.

mitch2

I prefer Brimars. Gorgeous midrange and a little more sparkle up top than Mullards. 

@mitch2 

You need to decide which direction you want to go with the sound. After using the stock tubes, what kind of change do you want, more clarity, airy highs, more bass? There have been good tube recommendations, but they cover the gamut of sonic signatures as well as price points.

Yes best to try yourself.I have lots of different 12au7s and they are all good in their own way.Rft is cheap and a interesting tube.Super clear midrange.I like the amperexes,mullard,Telefunken.And there is quite a few I haven't heard.

You need to decide which direction you want to go with the sound. After using the stock tubes, what kind of change do you want, more clarity, airy highs, more bass? There have been good tube recommendations, but they cover the gamut of sonic signatures as well as price points.

@lowrider57 is there a table or spreadsheet somewhere that lays it all out?

@lowrider57 

After using the stock tubes, what kind of change do you want

Actually, there is nothing "wrong" with how it sounds now.  The sound is clean, clear, and there is no noise I can hear over what I get using the internal SS opamp output stage in the Hatter The Big Preamp.  Dynamics are good, as is the bass, but I don't typically split hairs over bass since I have dual subs so I can mostly adjust the sound of the bass as needed.  If anything, I wouldn't mind a bit more tonal density in the midrange through upper bass, but not at the expense of clarity.  I am also curious whether I will hear any spatial differences with NOS tubes, like greater perceived dimensionality.

I have been comparing the stock JAN PHILIPS ECC82 (12AU7/5963) tubes with reissue/new Mullard ECC92 tubes and have a slight preference for the Mullards.   I have used different tubes in the past in preamps by Lamm, NAT, Lector, BAT, and others.  In preamps using 6dj8/6922 type tubes, I gravitated to the Amperex 6922 PQ white label or Amperex 7308/E188CC white label.  I cannot remember which brands/vintage of 12au7 tubes I have used previously.