Best 12" Driver?

I am upgrading the drivers in my 15 year old Infinity Kappa 7's. I have installed Dynaudio dome midranges and tweeters. They have much better sound dispersion and detail at moderate to high volume than the original EMIT's. As an experiment I have substituted top quality 12" bass guitar speakers to good effect. But, I question if I am missing some vocal nuances with them. I am looking for any recommendations for replacement 12" drivers. These are large well made sealed acoustic cabinets. I play bass and the injection molded poly 12's have always seemed deficient in the upper bass range. The current crossover is at 600Hz. I have heard good things about Focal, but can't find a dealer for them on the web. If you know of sources on the web I would appreciate that feedback also. Thanks, Brother Ray
ray_f

Showing 1 response by kilew693e

Stay away from the Dynaudio 12s. I had 8 of their top of the line 30W100, and they sucked! I've never seen such an expensive/poorly performing sub driver in my life! (Although we also blew up 1 of the focal audiom 12s in an array of 4 subs / side) - strange project, we were trying to build a poor mans genesis 1 out of carver 60" ribbons, scanspeaker 2905/9300 tweaters & dyna/focal woofers. god the dynas sucked!! We actually ended up going with a sub from TC Audio in california. Their 12" could do 24hz in a sealed box @ 112db spl @ 89db sensitivity. That's pretty f*ning impressive. ALthough TC 10/12/15s are extremely expensive.