Best $1,500-ish New or Used Floorstander -

Hello,

After pouring through many posts over the last few weeks, I thought I would tap the collective Audiogon genius for advice on my quest to get back into the hobby. I have been a many year (decade?) fan of the community (lurker) but wanted to engage directly as I look for a good set of speakers for a 2 channel system I will be building.

What should my short list look like for speakers in the $1,500 range?

I am very open to used, but if there are any current production speakers that eclipse the used value equation I'll certainly give them deep consideration.

My room is "lively" and roughly 15 x 20.

Associated electronics: TBD - but budget commensurate with speaker pricing.

I'd like "well rounded" speakers in terms of music genre - not focusing on speakers that do well for "opera" and not rock, for example. If anything I'd like to make sure they "rock" though.

If you had $1,500 to spend on speakers that you hope last you many years - what would you get?

Thanks!
968firehawk

Showing 1 response by pvanosta

I was in the same situation as the OP 6 months ago.
I have always had a soft spot for Martin Logan and got a great pair of ML Ascent for under $1,500.

I use them both as the front speakers in my HT and as the stereo speakers for my audio system and I am VERY happy to be back in the audio hobby...

I also bought a Perreaux 2150B power amp to drive them (less than $500 for 400WPC in 4 Ohm) and again very happy with my purchase.