beryllium vs diamond

Hi guys, today's technology has brought us a new type of tweeter made of diamond or beryllium. Do you know what are the strengths and weaknesses of diamond vs beryllium? Which one is the more expensive? Has today's dome tweeter better resolving power than the venerable electrostat? Jim Thiel once said that dynamic designs will be getting better all the time and will probably surpass electrostatic designs.
dazzdax

Showing 3 responses by bo1972

I think the new ribbontweeter of the outcomming Monitor Audio Platinum will outperfrom both. I can explain why.

The new ribbontweeter is bigger and wider. First of all it is opener than both the diamond and beryllium tweeter. I compared the Platinum with the diamond D2 and the stage of the Platinum is wider and deeper. Beside this the individual focus of voices and instruments is sharper.

The new one will have a lot more authority than the Platinum at this moment. We do a lot of research these days in sound&vision.

With the ribbontweeter you can create a holographic stage to die for. This is not possible with both of these tweeters. The stage is not only deeper and wider, but it can even create more space in front of the speakers.

I give an example: Miles Davis/Kinf of Blue. The piano on the right site owns the shape of a piano. The same about the drums on the right. It plays fully free beside and in front of the speakers. Also the presentation of the height of the cymbals is more impressive.
Audio is all about comparing and shootout. I will ask for a shootout in the beginning of 2016. I will invite B&W and Focal. I hope they will accept the invitation.
Another example: Many highend speakers use Thiel&Partner ceramic units. I sold Avalon for over 6 years if time, even to some of my best friends.

These speakers have in common that they often can create a wide and deep stage. But......when you listen to intimate acoustic concerts in real you will hear how small voices and instruments are in proportion. I call it intimate sound.

When you play this kind of music on speakers with Thiel&Partner units you will hear that instruments and voices become bigger than in real.

The other thing you often audition is that with a cello or double bass it colours it a little. I call this: a mjeah. It makes these instruments sounds thicker.

In the beginning of this year we visited an audio show and many new speakers overthere used paper. I thought; What the F....It reminds me of audio when I started in 1998.

The demos were so poor, these days we have much better materials. I also don't understand why B&W is using paper in some of their speakers these days.

Compared to 1998 when I started in audio, the quality of materials has improved a lot. Often they still use older materials.