Berning EA-230 vs RM-10mkII with Merlin VSM

Preamp is a Joule LA 100 mkIII. Curious as to whether anyone has done a direct comparison with these two amplifiers. Any insight is appreciated. Ultimately, I am looking for inner detail and realism, but with warmth ( I think my preamp takes care of some of the warmth). I have been happy with the ea-230, but have heard wonderful things about the Music Reference.
77cooper

Showing 1 response by clio09

It might be difficult to find one who has heard both these amps in their system. I can vouch for a Joule/Music Reference combo as I used to own an RM-9 and used it with my LA-100 MkIII. At the time I had Spendor 1/2e speakers.

Another Audiogon member here, Pubul57, uses the RM-10 MkII with his Merlins and it seems to do just fine. I now have an RM-10 MkII as well and would say its one of the most underrated amps out there. Both of us use passive preamps with the RM-10 MkII.

I've always been curious about the EA-230. Next time one comes up used I may have to give it a try. I do own the Berning Micro ZOTL amp/preamp/headphone amp and have been very pleased with it.