Bent Audio Autoformer vs Tube Pre

Has anyone compared the two? I'm thinking of building a fully balanced Bent Autoformer unit.

If you have compared the two, what do you think?
128x128jtwrace

Showing 1 response by ts0711

I’ve had fun with both and I really think it comes down to system synergies and personal taste.

I’ve used a Bent TVC (S&B MK1 copper) for years and really enjoyed it. The sound is by far truer to the source and I love the remote control. My amps are not balanced so I can only take run from the DAC to the pre in balanced mode. When using the Bent I use a separate phone stage…

When I’m not using the Bent I use an Audible Illusions Mod 3b with the John Curl gold phone board. Overall I keep coming back to the AI just because it sounds so sweet with the rest of my gear. Yes there is coloration, and yes I don’t have anywhere the same control over the volume but it just works.

That being said I can’t bring myself to sell the Bent, and from time to time rotate into one of my stereos. I also defy all the odds and use 20 foot long interconnects from my preamp to the amps…

The main rig is as follows…
- Digital Sources: Levinson 360S DAC (fed from, Roku soundbridge, mac mini, Oppo 103, Levinson 17 transport)
- Analog Sources: VPI Aries, McIntoch MR 71
- Speakers: Marten Design – Dukes
- Amps: VTL Compact 100 (with NOS Mullard EL34 tubes)
- Cables: Crimson MusicLink (everywhere)