Benefits to Denon 3805 upgrade for Studio 100's

I have Paradigm Studio 100 v3's connected to a biamped Denon 3805 (running preouts to zone 2 and using zone 2 amp to feed speakers in a bi-amped config) thus giving me what I think is 125 wpc in a bi-amped mode. Right now I am in 100% 2-channel music listening mode. I love these speakers, but am looking for the 'wow' factor.

I am intrigued at the prospect of more horsepower for the Studio 100's (reading about their power hungry nature) and I am considering a dedicated 225 wpc amp continuing to use the Denon as a pre-amp. But because of budget, this would be used in a non-biamped mode, using the separate amp for the mains and the Denon strictly for preamp and the surrounds (if I ever get around to them).

Thanks in advance for any thoughts on this config and potential for improvement.
jbc06

Showing 2 responses by mdhoover

I owned the same model for about a year. Mine sounded quite nice with a B&K ST140, which is about 100 or 105 wpc. There was a MAJOR improvement when I upgraded to Odyssey Statos Extreme Monoblocks, which are at LEAST 200 watts each, but probably more like 300, according to Klaus. Also, the Extremes have a huge amount of capacitance, 180,000 micro-farads EACH, which translates into a lot of current delivery. This is all relevant because these speakers DO love the extra power and current delivery, even though they're rated at ~91 dB efficiency.

You've probably already figured this out, but it's a mistake I made when I first switched to bi-wire speaker cables: Don't forget to remove the little jumper connectors between the two sets of loudspeaker binding posts when bi-wiring. I did NOT know about them and just hooked up the Canare bi-wired speaker cables in (what I thought was) a passive bi-wire configuration. (I should have figured it out, because how else could the speakers operate correctly if a conventional speaker cable was connected to only one of the two sets of binding posts?)

So I hooked the Canare biwires into both sets of binding posts, and I was straining to hear a difference, but wasn't really sure that I could. THEN a while later (days, weeks?) I saw the little brass bridges connecting the two sets of binding posts on the back of the speakers, and took them OFF. At that point the speakers were TRULY bi-wired (passively), and THEN there was a noticeable improvement in soundstaging. Kind of embarrassing, but that's what happened to me, and that's how I discovered the little brass colored jumper bridges. In my defense, they're pretty darn inconspicuous just sitting back there under the binding posts.......Oh well.
-Bill