Benefits of a Shallower Rack

I’ve got a relatively small listening space to work with. Also limited adjustment toward the center of the room as I’m not the only one using the space (yet it is largely dedicated to the stereo). Although I’ve managed to arrange things so my speakers are at least three feet from the sidewalls, I really can’t go past 19” from the front wall - measured from the rear of the speakers. Being that the room is only 11x12’, I’ve noticed that even minor adjustments and wall treatments can render serious results. Even moving my Pangea (a cheap and monolithic four tier) audio stand slightly from left to right when experimenting with sub placement can majorly affect the center image.

So I wanted to ask here how many of you may have gone to a wider/lower rack to good effect? Or did it present yet another problem that became more of a trade off than a benefit? The idea being that I would remove some spurious reflections via bringing my gear closer to the floor and out from between the immediate field between the speakers.

Ultimately looking to diy a decent wood rack that would sit far lower than what I’m currently using.

Thanks to everyone in advance!

riccitone

Prevailing wisdom is that stuff in between speakers is detrimental to sound quality, but expedient for set up, which is why it’s so common. Low as possible and behind the baffle plain of your speakers seem to be the goals. I’m actually planning a wider lower rack as well. The only personal anecdote I have is that when I removed the TV hung on the wall (another bad idea that is convenient) there was an undeniable increase in soundstage depth. Of course once I got a new TV it went right back, convenience over performance happens.

Are you looking at additional acoustic treatments as well?

I had a local woodworker make me a rack out of maple, very low, two shelves. Everything fits and soundstage not interfered with.

If you're contemplating a change, seriously consider moving the rack to a side wall if you can do so, it can help a lot. Go with longer interconnect and keep speaker cables short. Often the amp only between speakers on a low amp stand and everything else racked on the side wall is great if you can make it work. Cheers,

Spencer