Benefit of a Newer (Used) DAC - "Bang for the Buck?"

Despite having a SO who fails to understand why anyone would spend more than $100 on a “radio,” I’ve managed (over several years) to covertly assemble a fairly decent home audio system.  (My prize acquisition being a $500 set of LN Belle Klipsch loudspeakers off CraigsList).

At any rate, relying on quality used equipment that is past its technological “expiration date” has, under the circumstances, served me reasonably well. However, I’m now to the point where I’d like to (again) update several components – namely, the DAC.  

I’m currently running a Cambridge CXC transport through a Genesis digital lens and a Muse Model Two DAC – both of which, while fully functional, are fairly dated.  Realistically, how much noticeable impact can I expect from a newer (used) DAC – like a Bryston BDA-2 or MHDT Pagoda (for example)?  FWIW, my current setup does everything I need it to (i.e., play Red Book CDs).

In advance, thanks for any advice/feedback.

tds3371

Showing 4 responses by tds3371

Thanks for the feedback, guys - much appreciated.  I'm just trying to determine the best way to expend my limited funds - not an easy assessment, so be sure.

@cal3713 - The AM Tubador III (and IIIse, in particular) caught my eye, but my current budget for a new or preowned unit is around $1K.  If I need to drop a few more bucks to get a marked improvement, I'll just have to save my pennies for a little longer. ;o) Still, your suggestions are good ones.

@islandmandan - It's reassuring to hear it's not entirely a matter of spending > $$.  I'll definitely check out the Benchmark.
Actually, @audio2design, you've answered my question:  Is money expended on replacing an old DAC likely to result in an audible upgrade?  Sounds like it will - even it the replacement is an entry-level version. That's all I needed to know; I can now move forward re: model specifics.

For the record, the Belles I own were manufactured in 1984 - and have new Crites AB-2 crossovers.  The original Klipsch AB crossovers in these speakers were not particularly good; Bob won't even rebuild them. Production of the Belles was phased out in ~2005.

So, I began this thread, and feel compelled to offer a brief update on my thought process thus far.  Incidentally, I truly appreciate all the good feedback folks have provided; it's a little troubling to make a purchase without personal listening experience, but that's kind of the reality of things for me (and perhaps others) right now.  Still, there is a lot of "research" that one can do in hopes of providing some guidance (although finding consensus is entirely another matter).

First, I'm generally a tube guy - which has tended to work well with my horn loudspeakers.  For this reason, I've found the Tubador, MHDT, Black Ice (Jolida) and Border Patrol DACs to be most interesting.  However, they all lack balanced outputs - which I would like.  (At an added cost, these can be had on the Tubador and MHDT models).  Upgraded tubes, if required, are yet another expense to consider.

Among the non-tube alternatives, the Denafrips Ares II and Pontus (the latter is outside my current price range) seem to be among the most "analog" sounding non-tube DACs.  Since both my primary and dedicated headphone amps are both SETs, I figure these will probably sound OK in my system (indeed, the added virtues of "layering" harmonic distortion is intriguing).

For me, one attraction of the Ares II is price.  At ~$775 (USD) for a brand new warranted unit, it packs a lot of risk-free performance into a relatively small package.  The fact that there are currently far more audio ads seeking than selling Denafrips DACs also suggests it might be fairly easy to upgrade to the Pontus at some future point. (Yes, I know. We're a notoriously fickle lot - and this could easily change overnight).

I would add the RME ADI-2 into this same group offering > "bang for the buck."  However, it just has a lot of features I'd not likely use - and I don't need the pre- or headphone amp function.  Otherwise, this unit would be further near the top of my non-tube DAC list.

It all continues to be a learning experience.  All in all, the number of fairly affordable, high quality DACs now available is a not a bad "problem" to have.

Terry

@cal3713 - My intent is to run the balanced DAC outputs to a balanced headphone amp and the single-ended outputs to the integrated power source - both of which are tubed-based. While the addition of a properly configured preamp (for example) could offer other connection alternatives, your point is well taken:  A truly balanced DAC could alter the sound "profile" I've become accustomed to in my current setup. I'll certainly check into some of the ASR measurements.

@rareace - True.  I may be unnecessarily limiting myself based on "logistical" concerns.