Benchmark DAC-1

Hello.

I have the first Benchmark DAC-1, bought in 2005, I think.
What can I expect to benefit if I upgrade to a modern DAC in the price range of $2000-$4000?

Thanks in advance!
rune1
I have had the DAC1, DAC2 and DAC3 from Benchmark. The DAC1 requires some other electronics to tame the harsh top end. So system matching is very important. The DAC2 and DAC3 are much easier to listen to and they sound similar.

You can always try the Benchmark DAC3 L (one without volume) for $1700 on a 30 day home trial from their web site.

If you like the DAC1 sound I think you would love the DAC3.

BTW - get a used Sonore microRendu for a few hundred dollars to improve your system by a huge amount. This will replace the Toslink from the PC to the DAC. You need a USB input on the DAC for that and also RJ45 Ethernet cable from your router or switch in your home network. I used to have my PC connected directly to the DAC and it was awful compared to the microRendu streamer. There are other streamer options but the microRendu is rather easy to use, one of the best in this category, and not too expensive.
I had Benchmark DAC1 for many years. I replaced it with DAC3 HGC that I have for more than 2 years. It sounds fuller and cleaner, at the same time. It has better treble extension while harshness is gone. It also has better bass extension. By "fuller" sound I mean lower midrange, that sounded a little thin with DAC1. HGC version comes with very nice and responsive remote. With "L" version you have to pay $100 extra. DAC3 L costs $2k with remote and $100 less without. I use DAC3 HGC with Benchmark AHB2 power amp and the sound is wonderful.