below 100hz, do speaker cables matter?

seems bass is omni, so outside of cable gauge and connection quality, seems cable engineering/design shouldn't. any impressions?

(in stark contrast to mids/highs, where cable quality clearly does).
128x128rhyno

Showing 2 responses by almarg

Nick, thanks very much for the compliment.

One slight correction to your post: The word "inductance" should be "resistance" instead. As I indicated in some of the posts in the other thread, inductive reactance (the impedance that is presented by inductance) is proportional to frequency. It will therefore have negligible effects at low frequencies, and usually at all frequencies that are below the upper treble.

Resistance may of course be significant at low frequencies, if the gauge is not large enough to limit the resistance of the particular run length (times 2, reflecting the total resistance of both conductors) to a very small fraction of the impedance of the speaker at any frequency.

Best regards,
-- Al
Hi Nick,

Yes, if the gauge is large enough to assure adequately low resistance, and if (as is usually but not always the case) capacitance is low enough to not affect amplifier performance, I can't envision any speaker cable effects that would be significant at deep bass frequencies WITHIN THE REALM OF MEASURABLE AND PREDICTABLE OUTCOMES, to use your well chosen words.

However, I do not by any means assert that there won't be effects that are not within that realm.

Best regards,
-- Al