BELLES 250i INTEGRATED AMPLIFIER

Hello.
I just purchased this truly remarkable integrated amplifier from a fellow member here a couple of weeks ago. Like many of us I have long been interested in Belles simply because the brand receives high praise from virtually everyone who’s owned a piece.

Admittedly, I have consumed the various koolaids out there, buying some pretty good equipment over the years since I joined in 2015. Of all the stuff that has passed through my house, the Belles, at least this particular Belles model, is hands down the best integrated I have owned. (BAT VK 300XE, Primare i30, McIntosh 6400 receiver, Peachtree Audio, Modwright KWI200...) A pretty extensive list in such a brief period. And that’s just the integrateds. My separates list is even longer...McIntosh, ARC, BAT, Pass Labs....

Curiously enough there is extraordinarily little information about this integrated. What little I have been able to cull off of the interweb is vague. One classified states that its output is 125 watts per channel, another classifed kind of guesses that it will output up to 250 watts per channel. Neither states the output into ohms as is usually the case. At least with more current equipment.

This is a VERY articulate integrated, to my ears it strikes me as being similar to the Pass Labs X150.5 amplifier I had a while back. Pass Labs became my benchmark for amplification, and this is indeed its equal - at least sonically.

Anyway...based on enjoying this for a couple of weeks now I would guess that the power rating is 125 watts @ 8ohms, doubling to 250 watts @ 4ohms. It does run quite warm, warmer than any other of the amps or integrateds I have owned, so I am also guessing that it runs Class A for most of the power band. That’s an uneducated guess - I am an audiot, not an audiophile. I don’t know a mosfet from a misfit, but I know what I like.
For the record my listening levels run VERY conservative. There are occasions during a year when I may listen at a higher level than normal, but that’s pretty rare. My preferred loudspeakers are Thiel and/or Magnepan - both speakers being what I liken to be "articulate." Neither brand is very efficient, but that doesn’t really matter to me because I have never pushed anything I’ve owned to its limit.

If anyone has more detailed information regarding this Belles model please feel welcome to respond here. I love this integrated. (I have contacted Power Modules with a similar inquiry but no response yet..)
Thanks.

128x128oblgny

Showing 1 response by danzela

Have owned the same model for 10 years. Running some Mullard CV4003 in it and it sings. Using Gallo 3.1 speakers and Dragonfly Red DAC into a Macbook. Simple system, great sound