Bel Canto REF1000 vs S300

I was wondering if anyone could comment on the similarities and improvements between Bel Canto's REF1000 and S300 amps. I have trialled an S300 but it does not seem to reproduce vocals very well in my system. It sounds like the singer has stepped back away from the mic compared to other amps. On the other hand the S300 has very good soundstage width and depth and has great separation between instruments. (I do wonder if it seems to overly highlight some bass instruments though.)

I am wondering how the REF1000 compares to the S300. Does the REF1000 reproduce vocals clearly? Does it keep the soundstaging and separation without overly etching each instrument? How does the REF1000 improve on the S300 and what areas could be improved some more?

Any comments or opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank.

Richard
thomaco

Showing 1 response by dev

Richard I have not heard the S300 but own the Ref1000's.

Mr_sukebe I don't fully understand you comments made because they seem to be contradictory, can you explain further.

Richard I own the Ref1000's and what you mentioned regarding the vocals, singer stepped back from the mic compared to other amps, I am not having any of these issues. I am very impressed with what these amps are doing.

What is the rest of your system? and secondly what are the other amps you are referring to?