Bel Canto Ref1000 MkII or Accuphase A-20

HI, I've recently got a Squeezebox Touch that feeds to a Havana DAC. I am thinking of either upgrade to the MkII for the Bel Canto Ref1000 monoblocks or get an Accuphase A-20.

For people who have auditioned the MKII and/or the Accuphase A-20, what would you recommend? Thanks.
metronet

Showing 1 response by justmember

hi Guidocorona,

Enjoy your review and posts! I am now even more convinced that BC would be my choice of amp. I have heard REF500M and Bryston (can't remember which model, maybe 100?), both driving ATC SCM40's, I must say I prefer REF500M, a bit better bass and sweeter highs, Bryston while it's good is a bit on the bright side to me.

I have a pair of ATC SCM40's (8 Ohms, 84db sensitivity, 50-300W recommended), which is well known for its hunger for power as you can see. Would you recommend BC REF1000M's or REF500M's?

I understand the more power the better so if money is not an issue REF1000M should be better, but would you say REF500M's is more than enough to bring the best out of SCM40's already and therefore there is no need to spend more on REF1000M's?

Also, I heard that REF500M uses newer (and better?) power module than the L&O's ICEpower 1000 and therefore maybe a little bit better sounding than the REF1000M, do you know whether that is the case? Or have you heard them side by side? Is it worth going for REF500M just because of that?

Many thanks in advance!!
Raymond