Bel Canto Ref 1000 vs. Spectron Musician III Mk 2

Has anyone compared in their own systems the Bel Canto Ref 1000 Mk II with the Spectron Musician III Mk2? If so, what was your preference and why?

I'm presently using a Cary SLP-05 pre. The speakers are Martin Logan CLX. I have had the Bel Canto in my system previously and thought quite highly of it. No dealers to request a Spectron from to try so interested in forum members view of the latest version.
kiwi_1282001

Showing 1 response by dan92075

Getting back on topic - for the past 6 months I have owned a Bel Canto Ref 500m (which has been getting a lot of good reviews - and is the next generation higher bandwidth ICE module compared to the 1000m).

I have tried these on Triad Gold Monitor speakers (which are 4-ohm speakers) , and on another system using B&W N804's.

In both cases, I was getting a similar sound with the Bel Canto - it was smooth and noise free - but smooth to the point that is was slightly artificial sounding. Over the 6 month period I tried with my various interconnects, power cables, preamp, etc. to optimize it - but it just never sounded as good as my old Simaudio Class A/AB amp. Not having the same bass drive strength as the Simaudio was something I could live with, but the plasticky sound just started driving me nuts over the 6 months I had them. Supposedly they take that long to break in, and they did admittedly get better bass and treble during that time, but the plasticky sound never really changed.

The only reason I switched to Class D in the first place was for heat reasons -my new house had a semi-enclosed cabinet so I had no choice. I should also mention that I had tried some other Class D amps - including the Wyred, the Pioneer Receiver, etc. - all with similar issues (Bel Canto sounded the best among these though).

This December, I decided to give Class D one final last try with the Spectron - I grilled them about their return policy - - I really had enough with the whole Class D thing and if this thing didn't sound just right I was planning on shipping it back immediately, and going back to Class A or AB - regardless of heat!

Well to my pleasant surprise - as soon as I plugged in the Spectron - it sounded "normal". It actually had many of the characteristics of the Simaudio - a strong sound - like it was totally in control of the speakers. Strong bass, full midrange, good treble, with nothing weak nor nothing strongly accentuated. Very neutral sounding. Also, fast transient attacks / high speed (similar to a zero global feedback Class A amp), But most important it lacked the "plasticky" sound that was driving me nuts with the Bel Canto.

But a friendly warning - I made the mistake of trying out the amplifier in monoblock mode. The sound really opened up and I could hear backgrounds in recordings that I had never heard before with the Simaudio. At this point it was outperforming my Class A/AB amp in every regard - I really had not expected this! The only reason I don't recommend you try out the monoblock mode - is you may find yourself having to go out and buy another Spectron amp as I had to do! :)

So in a nutshell, if you are going to go Class D, I think there is no contest between any of the ICE amps vs the Spectron - the Spectron is clearly to me a much better amp.