Bel Canto Pre3 vs Musical Fidelity A308CR

I am purchasing (have not received) two bel canto e. ref1000 amps and need a new pre-amp. A thinking of either of the two above (bel canto pre3 or MF A308 CR). Any suggestions? This system is going to be used for music only. Thanks. Ben
vetin02

Showing 5 responses by stearnsn

I have Ref1000's and have a Pre3 arriving on Tuesday. I'll let you know how they sound but don't have a Musical Fidelity to A-B-A with.
Well, I have had a chance to do some listinging to the combo and have upgraded cables to balanced AZ Ref. Silver. Sound is good but again, this is the only two channel pre I have used in this system.
I went with the Pre 3 because I figured the DAC in my 5910 is pretty good. I am so happy with the sound no I have not been on audiogon for several weeks! I did order a tube pre from Odyssey that I am going to A-B-A with the Pre3 though. I'll report when I get it.
I prefer the tube sound in my system, particularly since I added NOS CBS/Hytron tubes in the Candela. I am making some major changes next week so my answer my change.
With new active speakers the PRe3 sounds better. Go figure. I am not ready to give up on the Candela yet though. I will try it again after some speaker break-in.