Bel Canto Dac 3.7 in 2018?

Hi all,

I’ve come across a store demo 3.7 including the VBL for approximately 3000. Mint. Boxed, ready for sell. I know some might consider it dated due to lack of mqa, dsd, pcm, which is not available on this unit. Or perhaps the converter is dated?

Im quite content with 24/192. I’m waiting for the dust to settle on what will become the industry standard.  Mqa still seems questionable. Though promising. 

I currenty own a Bel Canto Reflink which would utilize the fiber connection for optimal SQ.  Add the VBL. It looks like a win for my needs and price. 

At the same time. There are always options, and different viewpoints. Which I would take into account. 

New or used. Would the community agree the 3.7 still holds up for 2018.  Are there similar units for the same price range that will surpass the 3.7 with the VBL. 

I lean towards seperates that has a external power source. Though I am open to a all in one unit. 

I believe Mytek can be hooked up to a separate power supply as well. Though I feel the Mytek  Brooklyn + has way too many features which could potentially impair the SQ. I’m very much into a simple UI. Clean lines. Less is more. Etc..

Thank you for your input. 

J

jred
I'm confused.  Do you have the DAC1.7 or 3.7?  You state in your equipment list that you have the 1.7, but in a later post you say you have the 3.7.  C'mon man.  Let's get this straight here!  If you have the 3.7 I'd absolutely look to upgrade to separate amp and preamp as the biggest absolute improvement overall to your system.  If you have the 1.7, that's a tougher call. 

BTW, great speakers -- modern-day classics IMHO -- and great choice in TWL power cords.  The maker went to Clarkson College -- our arch rival in division 1 hockey at St. Lawrence 10 miles down the road -- so I should by all rights hate him, but have to totally respect his work in power cords.  

If you have the 3.7, I'd absolutely look to separate amp and preamp as the bigger absolute benefit to your system.  Specifically, I'd ditch the PrimaLuna idea and contact Don Sachs about him building one of his SP14 preamps for you.  And while you're at it, talk to him about his new KT88 tube amp that may actually be able to drive your awesome Sapphires.  If he says yes, JUST DO THAT and be done with it!!!

But, here are some other options I'd consider for preamps.  I think @teajay here did a fantastic review of the new Linear Tube Audio preamp that seems more than compelling.  Also, Ralph's Atmasphere SP3 preamp is a relatively unheralded and outstanding preamp in its own right.  These three are at the top of my own personal list, so thought I'd throw them all out therefor your review.  Read the reviews.  They're all awesome and will likely kill your current integrated. 

Now to the amp.  You seem to want power, and I don't know the sensitivity or impedance characteristics of your speakers, but being monitors I have to assume they need some power.  I've had very limited experience with "digital" amps.  However, I heard Joseph Audio Pulsars driven by Bel Canto REF500s that sounded absolutely fantastic, so I'd certainly look there.  But, if you would also entertain a more traditional Class A/B amp, I'd take a serious look at this ridiculous value.  I own a McCormack DNA 0.5 with Steve's A Revisions and it's outstanding.  I think what you'll gain over your McIntosh is an expansion of soundstage depth and detail that will help your Sapphires sing at a new level. 

https://www.usaudiomart.com/details/649511615-mccormack-dna125-with-mods-by-bob-backert-of-rhb/

Hope this helps, and please keep us posted in whatever you decide and how it works out. 
Apologies for the delay. 

I had the 1.7 - came across an offer for a nos 3.7 for a great price. If I missed the 3.7 deal. I would have purchased a Dialogue Premium pre amp, en route with the 1.7 ... Bridge the Ma6500 as main source of amplification. 

Since last post I obtained a pair of special 40s with Twl speaker cables, and a Twl discrete audio usb cable. Prior was a Audio Quest Carbon. 

I sold the 1.7 and some other gear. Though definitely held on to the Aci’s

The Ref500s should be showing up this week with a 30 day trial period. The plan is to utilize the ref link to the 3.7 via St fiber. Jumped to the MA- 6500 making that the pre amp, bridging the ref 500s. I agree that a tube line stage would be the best bet. Though finances only go so far. 

I already had my eye on the Don Sachs SP14, and the LTA microzotl preamp. Good call!! 

Both Preamps look like great contenders. Though it seems like you get the best bang for the buck with The SP14 specd with all upgrades. The works. 

LTA is beyond a safe bet. Just as good or perhaps better than Sachs. I’m assuming the LTA will have different sonic characteristics. 

Imo I believe with this selection of gear. I’ll be more then content. 

Thanks all for chiming in. Very much appreciated. 

Sincerely,

J
Hey jred - I’m currently contemplating what I think you did (going from the 1.7 to the 3.7 with VBL), in the hope that change will make a significant sonic difference.  If I’m understanding your transition correctly, can you speak to the resulting difference?  For what it’s worth, also running ref600m monoblocks,
@cnb3 

I'm a Bel Canto dealer, so I can perhaps help a bit here.  If you can get a good deal on the 3.7, I think you will for sure like the differences b/t it and your current 1.7.  The 1.7 is a nice little dac, but the 3.7 really does take it up a few notches (and is a great match with your amps).
@goldprintaudio 

Thanks for the input - appreciated.  I did buy the 3.7 with VBL - it’s in route! 

As a dealer, do you happen to know if the Innous Zen Mini MK3 will connect well to the 3.7, or if I will need a Ref Link or mLink - neither of which Bel Canto appears to still make?  The Zen Mini MK3 seems very well thought of and just perfectly fits my remaining needs all in one fell swoop - streamer, CD player (and ripper), and music storage.  (And size-wise almost perfectly matches Bel Canto.)