BEL 1001 amps. Specs and ordering

Does anyone know how to contact the owner of Brown Electronics Labs about their BEL 1001 amps? Also, Are the amps pure class A and can anyone compare the sound to other high quality amps?
I'm currently using Channel Islands D200 mono blocks with Odyssey Lorelei sepakers.
Thanks for the help in advance.
turek

Showing 6 responses by narrod

Hi Michael,

It may be a myth but that is how Dick describes them. I have heard the Mk V as I have all the other iterations. My opinion is based on those experiences. I much prefer the others, especially the Ayre, to the Bel. Different strokes.

Regards,

Wendell
They are Class A and put out 50 watts in stereo and 200 watts in mono. I believe Dick Brown prefers you to work through his dealer network. I'm not a fan of the amp run in stereo. Sounds kind or boring to me. Much better in mono but that'll cost you $8000 for a pair. Not worth it in my opinion. I prefer Belles, McCormack, Ayre and Muse to Bel.
Michael,

I do seem to remember discussions back in the 90s. The amps were marketed as Class A but Richard said they weren't true Class A but not really Class AB either. My memory is shaky but I do remember the technical explanation was beyond me. I haven't seen any Bel literature in quite awhile. I do recall that early brochures described them as Class A. Of course, it's not really an issue. Buyers care about the sound and most don't think or care about the design.

Regards,

Wendell
Regards,

Wendell
"The output devices are operated at a quiescent point that corresponds to a Class A operation dissipating an approximate total of 100 watts. The determination of this quiescent point was made for the optimization of individual output devices rather than meeting any specific conventional definitions of Class A operation."

I love this quote. No doubt where the Class A "myth" started.

I've tried for more than 10 years to like this amp but it has always left me cold. I know that there are many, many people, who's opinions I respect, who love them. It just reinforces the need to listen for yourself.
To Mikej,

Well said. If only all the discussions here were of this level and tone. Merry Christmas to all.

Wendell
Let's please not get into a cable discussion. No one, believer or skeptic, is going to be convinced.

Regards,

Wendell