Behringer DEQ2496 - wow

Has anyone forked over the $300 for this unit? I was using a Z-Systems RDQ-1 between my CD transport and preamp, and decided to try the Behringer mainly because it has 10 channels of parametric EQ vs four for the Z-Systems. I cannot tell a difference in sound quality between the Behringer (digital in-out only... the DACS might not be of the highest quality) and the many times more expensive Z-Systems. In fact, the Behringer is much better ergonomically and has many more features than the Z-Systems. It also has an auto EQ mode which I tried, but prefer to trust my own ears. The Behringer does not have the kind of build quality that the Z-Systems has (the Behringer is very light), but it works very well, and am amazed at the number of features it has and how inexpensive it is. By the way I'm using the unit in a very high-end audio system. I'm curious what others have experienced with this unit. It seems like an incredible value to me.
smeyers

Showing 9 responses by smeyers

The auto-eq works by emitting pink noise and measuring it through a microphone. I bought the $50 Behringer mic for this purpose. I then makes a series of adjustments using its 31 band graphic EQ. Although it may measure properly, I prefer the following method (I disable the graphic EQ module and use the Parametric EQ:

I used the Rives Audio Test CD2 with a Radio Shack Sound Level Meter. The Rives Audio CD has a set of corrected tracks that work with this meter. I take the measurements of all the frequencies, and make some initial adjustments with the EQ corresponding to these frequencies. I find this works particularly well to clean up bass modes. I then use my ear to tweak levels to my liking. My preference is to use a shelving filter on the EQ to slightly reduce frequences above 3K or so, and a slightly bumped lower midrange.

Like I mentioned before, I think the Behringer used completely in the digital domain is very transparent, and I cannot tell a difference between it and the RDQ-1. I would imagine (although not confirmed) that the use of the interal DACS would diminish this transparency. I really was not expecting the Behringer to work this well, but as much as I 'wanted' to hear a difference in sound quality (I had a hard time believing the quality/features can be this good for so little money), I cannot as of yet. Although I think I have pretty good ears, others might be able to tell the difference.

I am very curious what other experiences people have had with this unit. If you decide to try it, please report back as to what you think.
Slight correction: the second sentence should read "It them makes a series of adjustments...",
You might be right about the autoeq feature being better... but then again why do you think that? One of the problems I see with the autoeq feature is it's use of the graphic eq for correction. The graphic eq has predefined center frequences which cannot be adjusted. Since there are only 31 of them, it cannot get very precise as to the frequency being adjusted. The parametric eq has a much finer range of adjustments.
Bill, I am not using the Behringer DAC's. Although I have not confirmed this, the internal DAC's might not be the highest quality. I am passing the digital output of the Behringer to a high-end surround-sound processer/preamp with it's own internal DAC's.
I am now trying a combination of auto-eq and additional adjustment by ear. I'm letting the Behringer auto adjust to a flat tonal curve (which uses the graphic eq), then using the parameteric eq to tailer the tone to taste. This seems to work pretty well. It's very cool to be able to save many different profiles, then recall each one to compare to the next. This is a good way to determine what our preference is.
Well, I'm not convinced how well the auto-eq function works. I tried just a few times with and without 'room correction' turned on and off. It just seems to do some wierd stuff in the midrange and treble, leaving the sound somewhat hollow and bright. Maybe the Behringer mic is at fault. I think I would rather have the unit process a sweeping sine wave rather than pink noise, but what do I know. So far I think my ears along with the parametric eq is the best method so far.
I never thought the product is perfect, nor am I willing to completely rearrange my living room for the sake of perfect sound. I've already taken many steps and have acquired some very good equipment, but need to take some steps to cure some tonality issues without rearranging the room.

As far as the mic is concerned, you certainly might be correct. I do happen to have a Shure SM57 which I'll try out, although I believe since this mic is generally used for vocals, might be tilted a bit in the midrange.
Danner, you may be right. I just tried a SM57 and what happened is what I thought might happen. Since the SM57 has a somewhat tilted midrange, and not great response at the extremes, the Behringer produced a tonal curve that was severely boosted in the bass and high treble. As it stands now, I'm still trusting my ears!
Rgodin, have you been able to try the Behringer in pure digital mode without going through the DAC's? I have not tried going through the DAC's, but find the unit to be very tranparent if kept in the digital domain. I cannot hear any difference between this unit and the many times more expensive Z-Systems RDQ1 when used in this manner.