Behringer DEQ2496 HELP

After reading the raves about this product, I finally bought one along with the matching microphone tonite. Put in my system, eager to try room correction. The first 2 attmepts produced some curves that I wasn't crazy about, but seemed plausioble. Now, all it does is push all the bands above 125 all the way to maximum boost, and all the bands below 125 to maximum cut. When displaying the RTA of the pink noise, there is nop more htan a 15 dB range between the highest and lowest levels on the curve (as if that were small!)Also, one of the primary reasons I bought it was for equalizing low frequency room problems, yet it suggests htat anyuthing below 100Hz not be included in the auto EQ.
Does anyone know why it is coming up with such odd equalization curves, even though it is reading the data, which doesn't look so bad? Also, how bad is the product at low frequencies?
honest1

Showing 2 responses by jayboard

Ecruz, I would move it upstream. But as far as "I don't want to mess with the amazing sound from my Sony/TRL 900," as Kenn and El have pointed out, you already have messed with it by interposing the Behringer in the chain. There is no way around this, regardless of whether the Behringer is fore or aft of the preamp. But, having messed with it, if it still sounds amazing to you, you might as well mess with it some more and explore your options.

I have two digital sources going into the Behringer, a CDP into the Behringer's optical input and a Monarchy DIP (which itself has two sources, so I guess that's three altogether into the Behringer) into the AES/EBU input. I select between the two by using two programmed presets that differ only in terms of the input source. That may be the kind of arrangement you are thinking about?

Drubin, I haven't been able to read through that article without my attention wandering, but I don't think the author was talking about overlaying target curves. I think he was suggesting choosing an all-purpose target curve (even flat) for autoeq and then overlaying other programmed "psychoacoustic" or "personal" presets at the playback stage to try to improve on the sound. Then, if you wanted, you could use the knowledge of which of these overlays produces a better response to set a new target curve and redo the autoeq process. Actually, this is the approach that I used--started flat (except at the low end since my speakers are short of full range) and then overlaid adjustments from there.
Ecruz, I posted my last post before your last showed up. Yes, you can select among one analog and two digital inputs with the Behringer. You can do it by using the I/O switch, or as I do, by programming different presets that differ only by input source, which is a cinch to do. I am wondering why I do it that way... I think it's because then most of what I do with the Behringer on a day-to-day basis is accomplished through one menu, the program menu, and I don't have to jump around from menu to menu.

It's not as simple using source selector controls on a preamp, but it's not bad, either.