Behringer DEQ2496 HELP

After reading the raves about this product, I finally bought one along with the matching microphone tonite. Put in my system, eager to try room correction. The first 2 attmepts produced some curves that I wasn't crazy about, but seemed plausioble. Now, all it does is push all the bands above 125 all the way to maximum boost, and all the bands below 125 to maximum cut. When displaying the RTA of the pink noise, there is nop more htan a 15 dB range between the highest and lowest levels on the curve (as if that were small!)Also, one of the primary reasons I bought it was for equalizing low frequency room problems, yet it suggests htat anyuthing below 100Hz not be included in the auto EQ.
Does anyone know why it is coming up with such odd equalization curves, even though it is reading the data, which doesn't look so bad? Also, how bad is the product at low frequencies?
honest1

Showing 8 responses by drubin

I also just purchased one of these, but need some basic help. Are there any sites with tutorials, or any of you experts willing to help me out?
With most speakers, you are better off not doing any boose ast 20Hz or 25Hz or perhaps even 33Hz. You will be asking your speakers and amp to do too much. At lower frequencies, stick mainly to cuts.
Are you having it EQ your system to flat or have you shaped the curve a little?
Thanks for that link, Warner. Where's that from?

And yes, you don't want flat. And unless your speakers have a lot of output naturally at 20Hz, don't ask them to. Boosts in the lower octave can overtax the drivers and your amp, to the detriment of the rest of the spectrum.
That article suggests doing some things I haven't figured out how to do. For example, how do you overlay multiple target curves? And create Par EQ settings (he says do it in feddback eliminator) and overlay them as well?
I used the Rives CD (uncorrected) with the Behringer SPL meter function. The only downside is that I have to sit in front of the Behringer, which places me sort of in the way of things.
I had the same problem when I first got mine and managed to solve it, but now I can't remember how. I will try to figure it out, but I think it has to do, as someone on AA suggested, with the overall gain settings you establish. Ambient noise does tend to be greater than you'd expect, at least has been when use the unit in my system. You may have overall gain set too high.

I think there would be a small but enthusiastic market for "DEQ2496 for Dummies." I'd pre-order and pay a premium, LOL.