Behringer DEQ2496: Ease of Use

I am intrigued with the possibilities of the Behringer DEQ2496 in tweaking my Avantgarde Duo/BAT system, which is in a large rectangular living room (which would quickly become my "bachelor pad" if I attempted acoustic panels). Only problem is that I am not an engineer, and configuration of the Behringer appears daunting.

Can anyone comment on how "user-friendly" this unit is? For the money, it would seem worth a try.
jeffreybowman2k

Showing 4 responses by warnerwh

If anyone can hear any less transparency using just the Behringer, not it's dac, I'd sure like to know how. I have a very resolving system and cannot hear any degradation whatsoever.

The point is that most people are not using it properly. If you cause digital clipping then you will hear degradation. That's why there's an adjustment. It depends on how much equalization you use to where you want to set the gain. As long as there's no clipping it's pretty impossible to hear this piece doing something wrong when it's being used entirely in the digital domain.
The Behringer is only 300 dollars. For that money I feel it's an outstanding value. It can't fix alot of things and I only make adjustments of 3db max. When pushing up dips I only go up 2db.

This isn't the cure all but for the money is a bargain. Also it's worth having just for the education. You'll find out how different your system can sound from worse to far better.

The TACT is the way to go if you have the money, which I don't. I also don't think the performance for the money would outclass the Behringer 15 times over. The music in my room is very enjoyable and spending alot of money like the price of the TACT isn't worth it to me. However it's an outstanding device. I've never heard one but can imagine.

The most important part of a system though I believe now is the room. It should be the FIRST priority before setting up a system. It's hard to imagine the improvement without a reference. As Robert Harley says "The improvements are dramatic". I agree.

Also what
Eldartford: With my room being fully treated the worst case is plus or minus 10db. With just small adjustments across the frequency spectrum I've found I can make a huge difference in the presentation of my system.

At 31.5 I have it cut 4db which is not the 10db it actually is. Also at 10khz I have it cut 3.5db. I'm guessing that you're cutting or boosting more frequencies than the target frequencies which is why I'm apprehensive to make larger cuts. As for boosts I don't want to push my speakers and amp too far although the amp driving my woofers puts out 600wpc and the amp driving the planar/ribbons puts out 500wpc into 4 ohms.

I don't think most people should start out making large adjustments. At least in my experience it has been easier to take my time. The few people who sell these pieces I'd suspect a pretty fair percentage didn't learn how to use it properly and weren't patient. Just my opinion of course.
Eldartford: Thank You! I didn't ever think about using the feedback destroyer. I forgot all about it. Now I'll have to use that also.