Behold Gentle G192 Media Player

Hello again!

We at TARA Labs have been having a lot of fun auditioning new components for our listening room. One recent subject is our Behold Gentle G192 Media Player. It functions as a music server, amplifier and preamplifier, DAC, and DSP corrector. Musically the sounds are very detailed and well-defined, but without the analytical nuance quality that some digital components produce. Rather the sound seems well extended, airy and open overall. Has anyone else tried this media player? Are there any similar products that you have had good experiences with?
codytara

Showing 12 responses by wisnon

Lumin is a Streamer/Dac, not a server.

$7K full retail for the basic one and about $11K for the topline one that does DSD2x.
Isnt this a $50K piece of kit??

That needs to be said upfront. Its audio jewelry with a fantastic screen/display.

Correction, this is the runt of the litter at $16K. The $50k sibling is newer.

No DSD.
ZD, you are not wrong.

Streamer is just a quiet transport that is designed optimized for music, accepts ethernet/wifi, etc and outputs in Dac friendly formats like USB, HDMI, RCA, BNC eutc.
Mc,

I dont disagree with you, just being clear for AudioLab, who seems very unsure ofbthe space. I think maybe the Lauferteknic Memory Player is the only one stop box like you describe.

So yes, we are largely on the same page.

I like DSD as a format, so will likely head in the CAPs server, Win2012/AO/HQP direction. Maybe with a fitPC acting as NAA.
Audiolab,

Lumin is your best bet at the moment. I have a contact that can do you a better price than retail, so contact me if you want to go that way and save some $$$.

A pal told me that its dead easy to setup and the Dac feedback is very competent. Took him max 15 mins aand all worked flawlessly. I think its the S1 that does DSD2x, as the more basic A1 does only DSD64.

That said, I only head it briefly at the showroom in a big Audio show. For SoTA sound you would have to put up with more boxes and more tachnical hassles. I am pretty sure the SSR will be hard to beat as its the only one handling Packet data in a SoTA fashion.
The Lumin UPnP Network Player is a Linux-based player and DAC with a digital volume control all wrapped up in a gorgeously smooth machined 17+ pound slab of solid aluminum.

http://www.audiostream.com/content/lumin-network-music-player
Also, the key for these streamers is SOFTWARE development of the Control point (eg the iPad App).

Not sure if the one man boutique shops can handle keeping software updated and doing the customer support needed for this. You have to stay with bigger outfits like Lumin with a battery of programmers and support staff.

Its as much software and networking saavy as it is hardware knowhow and implementation.
Keith,

This Server/ripper may interest you:
http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f20-buy-and-sell-audio-and-computer-components-no-dealers/sonore-signature-server-and-deux-upgraded-power-supplies-23283/